Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Mead  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
Mead
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
The latest issue of Backwoodsman magazine has an article on making Mead. I read the article, went to the guys site, watched some vidios and decided to give it a try. Pretty simple process but I won't know for several months how well I did.

Anyone else ever try this?
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
Re: Mead
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
I used to brew beer, but have never made mead.  Wouldn't mind giving it a try sometime, but have no idea how it comes out.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Here is the web page for Mead making

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/index.htm

Lazarus Long

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
I have made hard cider, but not mead - let us know how it comes out.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »
Yes I have, and you can find information about colonial recipes for beer, both made with malt, as well as made with malt substitues, and mead, in Libations of The Eighteenth Century by David Alan Woolsey.

I'd use a fermentation lock myself, instead of a balloon, as he does in his article.  Actually, it is theorized that mead was one of the very first drinks fermented by humans, in that wild yeast is present in honey, and simply thinning out raw honey with water will cause it to begin fermentation.  In modern times we resort to more control over the process.   :toast  With mead, if one does end with a "harsh" product..., it is often a good idea to let it age in the bottle after racking it, and allow this aging to progress for one to two years.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
Quote from: "Ironhand"
Here is the web page for Mead making

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/index.htm
Well, that should do it, pretty much all the information that is needed.  I would think a local homebrew shop should be able to set you up with the basic items needed and a starter yeast.  I would like to taste some, before going to the expense of time and money, but it sounds nice.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »
Quote from: "sse"
I would think a local homebrew shop should be able to set you up with the basic items needed and a starter yeast.  I would like to taste some, before going to the expense of time and money, but it sounds nice.

The magazine article shows how to do this with just the gallon jug the water comes in and a ballon to keep the costs down.

I have had 2 types of commercial mead. One was too strong and sweet but the other was very good. It seems there are many ways to brew this stuff.

Lazarus Long

Offline SAWMA

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 08:51:36 AM »
Like LD said, it's best aged, have had some that sat for 4 years and was as smooth as a babys butt.
SAWMA

Every Animal Knows More Than You Do!
TMA #193
5/16/14

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
Interesting stuff on that site, Ladysmith has just completed her state bee keepers stuff and we will be setting up a hive here in a month, going to be at least a year until we harvest enough honey but looking forward to maybe trying this out!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:16:47 AM »
Archeologists think that Mead may be the first "adult beverage" as all you need to do is thin honey with water, and it will ferment from wild yeast found in the honey.  Wild bacteria will also grow, which is often not wanted.  Cheese should smell bad, not the mead.

Depending on what yeast is used will also effect the flavor and the harshness.  Ale yeast will work, the most alcohol content you will get from a historic ale yeast is 8%, and it's a bit harsh.  A wine yeast will give you about 12%.  Using extra honey to go higher in alcohol will give you sweet mead, not more alcohol, as the yeast will stop at a certain point leaving sugar behind.  

Had some "fresh" mead at a timeline event.  Some viking living history folks shared.  A bit of a burn on the back of the throat, but after a pint, you didn't really care.  They made theirs with brewing yeast.  Faster ferment.

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08:17 AM »
Ironhand,
              I can only speak for myself,but when I want a little(or LARGE) nip I do not wish to wait several months for it.I have tried my hand at wine making with some success,but
there is still that waiting period.Good thing for Everclear and about anything
 to pour it over.It must be mixed with something.Berries,pepsi,water,something.One other thing be very careful with Everclear around  flames & fire or  :walk
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 05:43:51 AM »

Readers digest Back to Basics
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
Quote from: "greggholmes"

Can't read that on my screen, but I love that book! We just had it out the other day....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
Quote from: "Riley/MN"
Quote from: "greggholmes"

Can't read that on my screen, but I love that book! We just had it out the other day....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jqHZWyWOLgY/T8B_aVXA-4I/AAAAAAAABR4/MWR47rOf3c8/s726/IMAG0570.jpg
I love it to. I found it around '90-'91
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline Rev

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.sheasmtn.com
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
I make mead all the time (got a 5 gallon bucket of honey in a trade). Here is how I do it.
First, forget everything you ever learned about brewing or wine making. Seriously!
Second, get yourself some honey (very important!)
Third, go get a 1 gallon plastic jug of water, I use mountain spring water (also important, the water I mean)
Fourth, get some bread yeast, I use Flieshmans regular, not the quick rising. (Seriously, bread yeast. No need for fancy varieties, honest!)
 That is all you really need, except for a piece of plastic & a rubber band to serve as an airlock. The rubber band will expand enough to let air out, but contract & not let it back in, if you follow me...
That being said, being a brewer, I use an airlock (just because I have a number of them...)
I also add a little to the recipe that turns it into Orange Spiced Mead.
As follows-
1 orange cut up small enough to fit thru the neck of the plastic bottle (leave the skins on. Trust me, have I ever lied to you?)
a small handful of raisins, maybe 40 or so...
1 clove
1 cinnamon stick

Remove about half of the water from the jug, saving it for later. Put 3lbs of honey in a pot & enough water to dissolve the honey once you heat it up (slowly, burnt honey is a pain in the butt to get off a pot!) pour the honey water mix into the jug & fill to about four inches or so from the top with the water you held back (you did remember to save some, didn't you? Don't ask me why I stressed that point... :toast )
When it has cooled, add the orange slices, raisins, clove & cinnamon stick, (or not if you are going the honey only route) & the yeast. Put the lid back on & slosh everything around, while holding the lid on with one hand (again, don't ask... :Doh!)
Wait until you are sure the fermenting has stopped, then wait a few days more (you sensing a theme here?) before you bottle it. Just use a CLEAN rubber hose to syphon it into the bottles, holding the end up off the nasty looking goop on the bottom (unless you like chewy mead! :rotf ) leaving an inch or so of air space in the bottle, just like the beer you buy in the store has.
Cap the bottles (I use old moosehead bottles) & store them in a cool dark place for a month or so. It is actually drinkable as soon as you bottle it, but waiting improves it, just like with wine.
Throw the jug away, (now wasn't that clean up easy?) & have another adult beverage to congratulate yourself on a job well done...
Remember, without the 2nd Amendment, the Constitution is only a recommendation...
Arizona TMA State Representative
Member in good standing of the The Honourable Company of Horners.
http://www.sheasmtn.com