Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Kibler Woodsrunner  (Read 4357 times)

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Kibler Woodsrunner
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2023, 09:45:09 PM »
 :bl th up
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2023, 08:10:10 PM »
All done save for rubbing in a beeswax protective finish. 

Been raining the last four days, just waiting for some sunshine to take proper daylight images and baptize this little .54 popper under fire.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2023, 08:20:08 PM »
 :hairy that's one pretty rifle gun! ought to name this girl SEXY!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online KDubs

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2023, 08:33:02 AM »
Looks great, I've been eyeballin' these kits since Rob posted .
 Might have to sell my TC hawken for one.
 Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2023, 08:44:28 AM »
The ticket for a plain maple or cherry Woodsrunner is $1200 + shipping (typically $50).  I'll be ordering another, in .45 and cherry.   :applaud

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2023, 03:48:09 PM »
Sun finally peeked out ...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2023, 07:28:14 PM »

:hairy  :hairy  :hairy  :hairy  :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2023, 07:56:03 PM »
 :hairy That came out nice, BUT, you didn't barber-pole the ramrod!  :luff: (that's a joke, son.)  Now we need a range report.

You keep posting these, I may have to sell all the guns I have in order to afford one of Mr. Kibler's kits!  I could save on shipping by driving up to get it myself.  Of course I had two emails from Kibler that he now has carving on the stock available for another $375!  That could amount to some real serious money by the time all the options are checked off!  :o

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2023, 08:43:53 PM »
None of the trad muzzleloaders of any century before the 20th had "spiraled" rods, that was a "modern concept".  I know that Hacker Martin did them, and a few other gunsmiths of the 2nd quarter of that century (as read in Firefox 5).  In any event, I don't like that look at all, so to each their own, as it should be.  :*:

The Kibler Woodsrunner kit is a remarkable innovation in trad muzzleloader kit history.  Nothing has ever come close to what Jim offers and all it takes to stick one of these kits together is knowing the difference 'tween a screwdriver and a hammer, they're that easy to build.  Just amazing.  I'm gonna order another, this time as a .45 and in cherry.

Yep, got the Kibler email about the $375 optional CNC stock "carving" - that is something I'd NEVER want, no way, no how.  Yucky!

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2023, 07:24:34 PM »
Shot the Woodsrunner this past Friday, worked flawlessly.  I fired a total of 27 balls, the first five were at the TMA Postal Match target face that I submitted that evening (6/30).  Also shot it at 50 yards (paper face) and 100 yards (16" gong), all with good offhand hits.  Load was a .530" ball patched with JoAnn .012" pillow ticking that had heat gunned in home made Gato Feo lube and a miserly 52 grains of Swiss 3F for the tube and the same 3F in the pan.  Shot with the same 25 yard sight hold out at 50 yards, but with about 1/8" front sight rise for the 100 yards steel plate (which got regularly rung, though there were some misses for sure).  Never had a misfire or hang fire, ignition was swift and smooth.  Just ordered another Woodsrunner kit, this time in cherry and went for another .54 bore - love them big balls.   8)

Online KDubs

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »
hey rob,
 how ya gonna finish that cherry stock.
 I ordered a cherry . 54 tonight and have been looking at cherry stocks and I see a lot of lye ( easy off) being used with mixed results.
 just wondering what will be the best approach, more than likely I'll just end up oiling it.
kevin

TMA Idaho rep.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2023, 09:07:02 PM »
hey rob,
 I ordered a cherry . 54 tonight and have been looking at cherry stocks and I see a lot of lye ( easy off) being used with mixed results.
 just wondering what will be the best approach, more than likely I'll just end up oiling it.
kevin

After stock sanding to 320 (w/grain raising) the final finish I'll use is nothing more than good ol' Tru-Oil on a maroon 3M abrasive pad.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2023, 11:09:26 PM »
Very Nice!!!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online KDubs

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2023, 08:08:28 AM »
hey rob,
kevin

After stock sanding to 320 (w/grain raising) the final finish I'll use is nothing more than good ol' Tru-Oil on a maroon 3M abrasive pad.

Can you explain the 3m pad technique. I've never heard of that. I Usually just sand and hand rub oil in.
Thanks Kevin
TMA Idaho rep.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2023, 08:18:03 AM »
hey rob,
kevin

Can you explain the 3m pad technique. I've never heard of that. I Usually just sand and hand rub oil in.
Thanks Kevin

The maroon 3M abrasive is very fine and as you rub in the TO it smooths out any raised grain in the process.  That's my preferred finish method and what I did with the maple Woodsrunner.