Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Needed: CVA Patch Box Lid, 4 screw  (Read 919 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Needed: CVA Patch Box Lid, 4 screw
« on: January 19, 2024, 02:14:43 PM »
CVA Patch Box Lid, 4 screw.  I need a source for one.  I received a beater stock to refinish for the Hodgepodge rifle as I am not happy with my inletting on the patch box I installed.  However, this stock is an oldie with the patch box cut out  for a 4 screw lid, while I have a 2 screw lid and there are enough differences that I can't use it without a lot of playing around.

Any help will be appreciated!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Needed: CVA Patch Box Lid, 4 screw
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 06:17:09 PM »
Hey Kees, if you can't find the one you want, you could use one that is somewhat bigger and inlet it over the old hole. Track has several that look like they would work. Good luck.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 09:05:36 PM »
Years ago (I was still in high school, so Reagan's first term) a friend bought most of a CVA Mt Rifle kit at a garage sale.  Took a weekend, but we did a rubbing of the patch box inletting and made a new one out of steel from the scrap pile.  I think the spring was a piece of lawn mower spring. 

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 07:49:09 PM »
Thank you both for the tips.  I may have to resort to making one.  I had thought of making a rubbing of the inlet and see if I could modify the one I have to fit.  It's close, but still no prize!  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025