Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Venison Mincemeat  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
Venison Mincemeat
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »
I just went after a quart of my homemade, and see that I'm down to three quarts, so it's about time to make up a batch again. The recipe I use is reputed to have come from Martha Washington, and was George's favorite. I think it called for beef when I got it, and I suppose that would work. Best batch I made was elk. This stuff is NOT the runny over sweet stuff from the grocer's shelves. It's hearty--I guess that's the best descriptor.

I digress. Here's the formula:

5 lbs venison, ground
1 lb beef suet, ground
2 lbs raisins
2 lbs dried currants
1 Tblsp cloves
2 Tblsp cinnamon
1 Tblsp ginger
1 Tblsp nutmeg
1/2 Tblsp salt
1/2 teasp pepper
4 C. sugar
1/2 lb citron peel
1 lemon, juice and rind, chopped fine
8 C. apples, chopped fine

Cook the venison (or beef), and after it cools, add all the other ingredients. Stir it around until thoroughly blended. Set aside and fetch a large sauce pan, and simmer these together until the butter melts.

1 qt apple cider
1 qt of brandy (altho I generally use rum)
2 Tblsp butter

Dump this stuff over the other ingredients in the bowl. When it's cool, pack it in jars and pressure can it. Check with a Ball Blue Book for times. I expect Martha didn't can it. The original directions said to cover it in a crock and store it in a cold, dry place. Allow it to stand at least 24 hours before making pies. This amount will make 8 to 12 pies, so you might want to make a half-batch to try it. I'm told mincemeat made this way would stay good for 6 months, but I can mine.

Apparently Martha recommended not eating these pies at night before going to bed if the eater valued sound slumber.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393