Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Something for oil  (Read 1269 times)

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
Something for oil
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
So what are you guys using in your possible bags for oil, grease, bore cleaner etc. while on a trek. I have a tiny oil bottle with a brass rod in it for one drop at a time and it works pretty good. I need ideas for liquids and such so it won`t leak in my bag and not take up very much room.

Burch
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:24:33 PM »
I use Bear grease in a "burnt" cap tin. I use a small twig to"oil"gun parts. Not fond of liquids in my shooting bag.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline burch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
the grease I have is way too thin for a cap tin. It`s more like thick spagetti sauce than something like Crisco.
Member #471 Expires 5/16/09
If I Gotta Explain It You wouldn`t Understand It

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
oil
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
Carry a canteen with water fer drinkin and swabbin bore, spit patch when hunting, and carry a tin of beeswax in my bag. As for WD40, great for lawn mower cables, but not in my rifles. Good scrubbing with homemade solvent and after drying bore with patches I spray with rem oil or 3 in one oil if I have it. Heard all kind of reprimands on petroleum based lubes for the bore, inmho, I see no harm. And my barrels don't rust in storage. Then too, my rifles all get dry swabbed and reoiled every two mos. tops. I worry more about rust and pits than I do about some supposed malignant petroleum build up in the bore. Shoot me if I'm wrong.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
I agree about the petrolium products. Some guy's use alcohol to get rid of moisture,WD-40 is always on my bench and within easy reach and is NOT used for long term storage,guaranted to rust if ya do. At home,Rem oil is real good for storage. Greyhunter is right about swabbin' and oilin' every so often,dont trust the lube you use to replace good mantainence habit's.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Spectre

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
I always like to carry a small bit of Crisco for grease. Usually carried in an empty snuff can.
 Agreed on the WD-40, its junk for black powder. A little soap and water goes a long ways for cleaning BP guns, and then like already said---Rem Oil.

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
I bought a "really old" oiling can from an antique dealer in town.....I think it turned out to be from an AK-47 cleaning kit :th dn
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers