Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Birch fungus for fire starting...  (Read 1308 times)

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
Birch fungus for fire starting...
« on: June 22, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
It might be my old(er) brain working (or not) but I am searching for a thread somewhere in here (TMA Forums) that discussed the use of a fungus that grows off of paper birch trees here in the NWTs.  Someone posted a picture of said fungus, which I wanted to forward to my father-in-law for searching and gathering purposes.

Help me out...
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline rickevans

Re: Birch fungus for fire starting...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
My Google-Fu is good today..I found this info on the web:

Siberians and other northern peoples in Asia, Europe, and North America for centuries have highly prized chaga for its great medicinal and curative powers. Those of us who know its value seek it out when traveling in the northern forest.

Chaga is a parasitic carpophore that enters a wound on a mature tree, usually birch. The chaga grows under the bark and erupts into a grotesque black charcoal-like conk on the tree trunk; hence the Latin term "Obliquus" in its scientific name.

The Chaga conk grows with the birch tree for five to seven years during which time it absorbs nutrients and phytochemicals from the wood. When the chaga conk flower ripens it falls to the forest floor. Usually the host tree then dies, completing a 20 year cycle.

It is estimated that only about 0.025% of trees, only a few of every ten thousand, will grow a chaga conk. This makes the chaga mushroom somewhat rare even in its prime northern range.

Identifying Chaga Mushrooms

Chaga Conk
The Chaga mushroom is a fungi that grows on the wounds of birches. Occasionally chaga is also found on ironwood, elm, alder and beeches but both paper birch and yellow birch seems to be its favorite.

This Chaga tinder fungus I found while snowshoeing yesterday is growing on a large yellow-birch tree that had been damaged years ago during logging operations. The outside of this easy to identify mushroom somewhat resembles the charred remains of burnt wood, being black and crumbly.

Of irregular shape, the inside of a chaga is the color of rusted iron or yellowish with white or cream colored veins. It is corky of texture and tends to become lighter in color closest to the tree. You can see the colors in third picture where I have pulled the chaga off the yellow birch tree using my tomahawk.

Chaga is known as a polypore fungus, which means it has pores instead of gills. The chaga mushroom does not hold a great deal of water as does other types of mushrooms. As the chaga conk grows its outside dries out, turns black, and cracks. I have seen large Chagas well over three feet (one meter) in length and one foot (.33 meter) thick.

The chaga mushroom is commonly known as the true “tinder fungus” for its use in building fires. In fact, chaga is the true tinder fungus, as opposed to the false tinder fungus which is shelf-like in shape and does not crumble.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Life Member NRA

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
Quote from: rickevans
My Google-Fu is good today..I found this info on the web:

It is estimated that only about 0.025% of trees, only a few of every ten thousand, will grow a chaga conk. This makes the chaga mushroom somewhat rare even in its prime northern range.

Tell me about it! Was at my son in laws house this spring and his property is surrounded with white birch. But nary a one we looked at in two hours had any chaga cork. :th dn
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:56 PM »
The horse hoof shaped "fungus" works pretty good when shaved thin. Haven't played with it a lot,heard it works good charred.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline rickevans

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
Lots of that kind (horseshoe) around...will try to gather some of each.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Life Member NRA

Offline rickevans

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »
Picked up a big handful of this over the weekend. There are several tree clumps with this stuff growing on them, I took a bit to try it out.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Life Member NRA