Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: NorthwestMuseum Muzzleloading Videos  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »
8)
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »
Quote from: "Three Hawks"
He's doing two things I haven't got the stones to try.

1.  No ear protection.
2.  No eye protection.

I can hear it coming........... "What's the big deal?  Nothing happened."  

That time.   It only takes once for blind, and deaf is cumulative.  Not a good thing to teach the young'uns.

Three Hawks.

When we have our monthly kids shoots, no person whether adult or child is allowed to touch a weapon without both firmly in place.  I use them target shooting and hunting.

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »
As I mentioned, I was an LEO. I must have fired 1,00s of .357 rnds with out ears. I can still remember the "Pain", Even after ears became available, many of us still "practiced" on a regular basis, without, ( so as to be use to the "crack" & not "pull off. on the 2nd shot.)

IMHO, the GREATEST thing out there are the "in ear electronics". esp if your "modern hunting rifle has a muzzel brake")

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
I've noticed that some folks today have started down the "slippery slope" of imposing ever increasing rules upon others enjoying the fun hobby of traditional muzzleloading.
MHO is,... that the wearing of ear (and eye) protection, should be one of "PERSONAL CHOICE", and not something thats forced upon folks enjoying an activity thats been in existance for over 200 years.  
There is quite a difference between shooting modern smokeless "MAGNUM" handguns (and rifles), when compared to the relatively "soft spoken" traditional muzzleloaders shooting blackpowder. This is very evident by the lack of recoil from muzzleloaders when compared to simular caliburs of smokeless centerfire guns.

If, I ever go to a "blackpowder shoot" and someone DEMANDS that I must wear ear (and eye) "protection" before I can participate,... I'm gettin right back on my horse, and riding someplace where FREEDOM of choice is still the "rule".  :rt th

This is my personal opinion ONLY,... but, I completely fail to understand "HOW" my NOT wearing ear and eye protection, effects ANYONE'S eyes and ears but "mine", and if I wasn't comfortable without it, I'd darn sure wear it.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Puffer

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
If, I ever go to a "blackpowder shoot" and someone DEMANDS that I must wear ear (and eye) "protection" before I can participate,... I'm gettin right back on my horse, and riding someplace where FREEDOM of choice is still the "rule".  :!:

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
well less see my hearing loss comes from  the  whine of a UH1.

today you also lose hearing from the radio in you car . wind blowing in your hair while on that  bike
 you name it , its there .
 try thinking about all those medium  sounds you here all day long , constantly . ;)

Spotted Bull

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
Captchee, here is the next generation Huey.

I work for Bell Helicopter.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 03:44:41 PM »
ahhhh a super Mike . ya now your talkin  :P

Offline Puffer

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
Quote from: "Captchee"
ahhhh a super Mike . ya now your talkin  :rofl  :rotf

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
Therein lies the "beauty" of attending AMM events, which are held on private and public ground, (I've never seen any AMM "events" held at a "club" range), so no "hoops" for us to jump thru.
I was the OTL, MD, and CC at my monthly shoots in Alaska, and we had "zero" problems,... and some of the participants drove over 200 miles each month to come and shoot.

Anyone participating in a shoot held on "club" grounds, and under the "umbrella" of NMLRA, or NRA, insurance,.... will have to jump thru their hoops in order to be covered.

That's not for me, there's too many other places to "play". :)
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 04:08:59 PM »
8)
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
I've got no problem if folks choose to wear ear and eye protection, that's there business.  I personally don't use it and that's my business.  

My son uses it because I tell him he has to, and while he's a minor under my roof he'll do as I say when it comes to protecting his hearing and eyesight when shooting.  When he's an adult he can make up his own mind on the subject.

If I go to a shoot where it's required to wear ear & eye protection, I'll go back to my vehicle and get it and wear it, and enjoy the day.

If I go to a shoot where ear & eye protection is not allowed, I'll leave, even if I don't use it myself.  I figure if it's a safety issue under question and folks want nothing to do with it, I have to wonder who's standing behind me with a loaded rifle primed and cocked waiting to get to the line to shoot simply because other safety issues have been pushed aside.

All I can say is make your own judgement calls and hope it's the right one.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Puffer

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 12:04:52 PM »
Quote from: "Ohio Joe"
I've got no problem if folks choose to wear ear and eye protection, that's there business.  I personally don't use it and that's my business.  

My son uses it because I tell him he has to, and while he's a minor under my roof he'll do as I say when it comes to protecting his hearing and eyesight when shooting.  When he's an adult he can make up his own mind on the subject.

If I go to a shoot where it's required to wear ear & eye protection, I'll go back to my vehicle and get it and wear it, and enjoy the day.

If I go to a shoot where ear & eye protection is not allowed, I'll leave, even if I don't use it myself.  I figure if it's a safety issue under question and folks want nothing to do with it, I have to wonder who's standing behind me with a loaded rifle primed and cocked waiting to get to the line to shoot simply because other safety issues have been pushed aside.

All I can say is make your own judgement calls and hope it's the right one.

:th up

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline Puffer

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
Here is a story.
As I mentioned before, 2 yr.s ago, I was CRSO for PPR. (eyes & ears req.)

I was positioned about 30 yd.s away from position 1 on the trail walk, when I saw a man & 4 youth approaching the position. I could not see any "eyes" on anyone, so I started to move in. But I soon found out that I did not have to say anything. WHY"

I had not taken more than a couple of steps, when I saw one of the shooters ( an "OLD TIMER") approach the group. I did not hear what he said, but the "adult", with a "raised' voice" basically told the "OLD TIMER" to "stuff It."

The next thing I heard was a Cease Fire & Dry them Up, from the Line. As I got to the "group, I was joined by 4 other shooters (also "old timers") & told that they would handle it. They then gave him the option to either get eyes & ears or forgetting about shooting "THEIR" range.

I was told, "Puffer, you may be the "official RSO" but Range Safety is all of our' responsibility. We may not personally agree with the "eyes & ears" for us adults, but thems the rules PLUS the youth NEED them.

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
Such an "incident" wouldn't have even taken place a mere decade ago. I don't know whats changed, I don't know a single person (young or old) walking around "deaf and blind" from shooting traditional muzzleloaders over the years.

I suspect it's mostly a matter of "liability" for some of the ranges, but with all the blackpowder shoots I've participated in over many many years, NONE have ever required "eyes and ears", nor did they forbid them.
Like I said in my first post, I think such a (mandatory) requirement is heading down a "slippery slope", and just takes us another small step away from really true "traditional" muzzleloading.

Modern high power centerfires are a different story, and I agree with such a requirement when on a crowded range with them. :rt th
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6