Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Wild Game...from Field to Table.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Wild Game...from Field to Table.
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
Here is a little something from the NSSA (National Sports Shooting Association) that some of you may enjoy.
There are a couple of recipes, and a nice, short little video. The one thing I picked up from this was to use a "little dab" of bleach to disinfect the meat....which, in this day and time, is very important, IMO
I never gave it a second thought in my younger days, but with all I read nowadays I started getting concerned.
Do you think maybe I should stop reading?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNSSF#p/u/3/sxy4PdYp8uA

Ooops! Guess that second link didn't take...
http://www.nssf.org/recipes/

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
Re: Wild Game...from Field to Table.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
Should you stop reading, probably not, but it might be a good idea for Momma Bear to monitor what it is that you are reading.  :lol:
I fully believe that with all this antibiotic this and disinfecting that, we're loosing all our natural immunities. I just can't see me putting bleach on any meat I eat.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Voyageur

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
:hairy
Artillerymen Do It With A Bang
Artillery the King of Battle
St. Barbara-Pray for us !

NRA Endowment Life

Charter Member #104-10/22/15
"JOIN THE TMA TODAY"

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
I have to agree with the others about putting bleach on my food. Several years back Piggly Wiggly markets were nearly put out of bussiness at the time for" brightning" up their ground beef with a little bleach. As to hanging up the kill several hours with the hide on? "not me". The quicker the hide can be removed the better.
        I wouldn,t worry any more about the contamination of wild meat , then domiestic commercial meats , If you think I,m pulling your chain , take a trip to a large feed lot , not a pretty sight after a rain. RM is right . you need to expand your reading material.

:toast  :laffing
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »
The guys are right, you are eating organic, free range venison...., all that the bleach does, IF it does it at all, is disinfect the surface of the meat.  Any bugs actually inside the meat won't react to what they don't actually come into contact with..., and if the deer has CWD, well there is NOTHING known to science right now that will stop the prions that cause the disease one might get..., but the good news is that such are normally found in the brain tissue, so don't eat the brains.  

I bet the video didn't suggest or give you directions for "corning" the venison did it?  That's the proper way if you think you might have an odd piece of meat.  (imho)  

I bet some fool of a lawyer told them to put that into the video to avoid liability.  

Some other BS out there still, nitrates cause cancer so eating foods treated with sodium nitrate will give you cancer.  Total BS!  The "science" behind that was done in a laboratory beaker..., and the hue-and-cry was raised to stop using sodium nitrate, "for the children".  When they did the actual science, they found the carcinogens formed in the beaker didn't form in a human stomach..., of course we didn't hear about that, nor are we told that since they have greatly reduced sodium nitrate and nitrite in foods, there is a rise in food poisoning..., seems some residual nitrate in your stomach was a good thing once.  

As for aging meat, well there really isn't a good way to do that without a proper refrigerator..., so I don't bother.  You should just cook and eat your meat, after all...,

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
Pink Floyd, The Wall  1979

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
I suspect all this negativism is likely all my fault because I wrote "use the bleach to disinfect the meat"....I meant to say, "use the bleach to disinfect where the meat has been", ie table, knives, cutting board, whatever you used to process the meat.
The same thing the guy in the video says.

Never, in my wildest imagination, did I think someone would take what I wrote to mean to apply the bleach directly to the meat, the guy in the video didn't say that, I would never do that myself, and it's obvious that you also would never do that either. Did anyone actually watch that short video?

I do apologize for not proof reading what I posted, because I did actually write  "to disinfect the meat"....I made a mistake but that kind of mistake will never happen again, I can assure you that!

Uncle Russ...

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Sorry to say Russ, I did not watch the video. With my connection and computer speed, videos just take sooo long with all that buffering.
Sorry again about the confusion.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Russ,
        I did watch the video,and I have always used a solution of bleach and water
in my cooking areas.Something my mother learned me 55 or so years ago.I must admit
until I watched the video I was a bit confused by your post.Actually though I think you are
the first one to ever make a posting error....right!!!!!! :rotf  :rotf  :rotf  :rotf
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:31:44 AM »
Quote from: "snake eyes"
Russ,
        I did watch the video,and I have always used a solution of bleach and water
in my cooking areas.Something my mother learned me 55 or so years ago.I must admit
until I watched the video I was a bit confused by your post.Actually though I think you are
the first one to ever make a posting error....right!!!!!! :rotf  :rotf  :rotf  :Doh!

This old age stuff ain't for sissies...you do things that make ya feel downright sick about, once its discovered. Not that you're trying to hide it or anything. It just seems that "stuff happens".

But I suspect a fella that has eaten a lot of humble-pie in his time can adapt, and that's what I'm trying hard to do. I sure hope this doesn't ever happen again, and if it does, I hope ya don't beat me up too bad.

Thanks fella for being so kind, I appreciate it.

Uncle Russ..

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
Pay attention ya ole COOT...!

There, somebody had to say it...LOL

Just kidding.  Yer still  no-good potlicker, like always... :P
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
I was worried about the statement Russ made until I watched the video.  Now I'll add that there was a time when I dressed, skinned and butchered my game barehanded.  Those were also the times when I crawled into wrecked cars and treated the injured and often bleeding people inside without putting on latex gloves.  I don't handle any wild game barehanded anymore.  Sanitizing your tools and work area is just common sense as is wearing gloves when handling meat.  We developed a saying in EMS, "If it's wet, sticky, and not yours, don't touch it without gloves."  It applies in other situations as well.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632