Craftsmanship > Clothing and Other Crafts

Greatcoats during F&I War

(1/2) > >>

Oldetexian:
I have a beautiful hand-sewn greatcoat. It's heavy, very warm,and looks great and comes with with three removable capes.

My question is about its period correctness for the 1750s-1760s. I also have a nice capote, but I am fairly sure that is not historically correct for the Virginia frontier during the F&I period.

Does anyone have any thoughts on greatcoats being used around that time. I am pretty sure they were in use during the Revolutionary War, but have no idea about the time period of my persona.

Oldetexian:
Just a quick update to answer my own question...

While looking at the participants clothing requirements for the Fort Dobbs French and Indian War Militia Muster I read their historical reference material. There are three separate accounts of deserters or runaway slaves where Greatcoats.

I guess that answers my question. Still, any other thoughts appreciated.

doggoner:
Oldetexian

When in doubt, wear the item. There are enough self-appointed "police" at every get together that you will be informed in a heart beat if your choice is not correct. They can be idenified by the wrist watch they are wearing or the polyester socks they have on. None the less, they will regale you with their brand of "correctness", Just my own experience and YMMV.

doggoner

Oldetexian:
 :hairy :lol sign

Nessmuk:
Just tell 'em you got it off a dead Brit Officer and walk away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version