Craftsmanship > Clothing and Other Crafts

brogan?

(1/5) > >>

wwpete52:
I always wore moccasins when I was a mountain man and colonial buckle shoes as a 1760's guy.  Now that I am back to doing the mountain man I'm thinking about loosing the moccasins. My old feet don't like 'em any longer.  What about brogans? I know that they had them back then. Do any of you wear brogans while being the mountain man?

rollingb:
Actually Pete, I've had the same thoughts run through my mind, several times. I've never pursued it, and I'm still in mocs, but that might change as I get (even) older.

Loyalist Dave:
Well the Civil War Brogan was really a post fur trade style shoe, similar to the Jefferson, and that was similar to the Hi-low.  In truth, the three are so similar I'd have to have them side by side and labeled to tell which was which, so I don't know who'd give you any hassle for the "wrong" footwear, eh??  I have Fugawee hi-lows, and I had a second sole put on them so I could have them properly hobnailed.  They make a big dif in ankle support as well as when walking on gravel.  The hobnails make a nice crunching noise when several in a group of soldiers march into town (all that's missing is music from The Empire Strikes Back).  

LD

Mike Ameling:
One gentleman (der Fett Duetsman) found a surprising resemblence between a Confederate "Blucher" shoe offered by the Missouri Boot Company and a 1790's German boot/shoe in contemporary paintings.  Check it out at
http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id10.htm a little over half way down the page.  European paintings and context, but ...

And they also carry variations of that Jefferson Bootee.  Yes, they mostly sell to Civil War people, but so much of the CW stuff was from earlier times.  I've been contemplating a pair for late 1700's upper Mississippi River and Great Lakes fur trade era events.  Just have to scrounge up the funds - while still beating back the wolves scratching at the back door!

Just something to consider.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Bigsmoke:
Another thing that you might want to consider is a simple pair of half Wellington boots with the round toe.  Leather sole and heels would make it even better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version