Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Priming with 2F  (Read 755 times)

Offline River_Rogue

• TMA Forum Member
Priming with 2F
« on: September 06, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »
Is there a way to measure out the proper amount of 2F for priming a flintlock? I've been told that 2F is too coarse to use in a pan primer tool, so I'm not sure how to measure the right amount. I know once I know the correct amount I should be able to eyeball it. But I just want to make sure I'm not using too little or too much to start. Any tricks to measure beside just pouring from the horn?

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Priming with 2F
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »
Yes.  Use 4F.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
Never measured it, just pour pan third full towards outside away from vent. If you have one of the cylinder push primers, generally three pumps in the pan will do.  Too much will slow the ignition. Experiment with it and you will find out what works best in your rifle. Use fffg or ffffg in the pan, if you don't have any, crush some 2 or 3 f  on a board with a wood spoon. Have never used 2f in the pan, but I'm sure it will light!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline No Deer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 78
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:17:24 AM »
There is no "proper" amount of prime, if the gun go off, that is how much you want to use.  You can get a small sized horn with a plug vs. a plunger, or, just pour out of the main horn into the pan.  Just pour a small amount in the pan and as said, about a third, to maybe half full will probably be a good amount. May take some practice for you to find just the right amount that you are comfortable with, too much in the pan and you may singe your eyebrows  :shock: and get slower ignition, and too little and you will not get reliable ignition.  Studies have shown that banked against the touch hole gives the fastest ignition, however again, you will have to experiment to see what works best for you.

As far as using 2f in the pan, it depends on your gun.  I know people with besses use 2f in the pan and their guns always go off.  The British military (as well as many others)  used paper cartridges for loading, they tore off the end, primed, then poured the rest down the barrel to load. If you are using 2f, there is no need to use smaller grain for prime, again your gun will tell you by how fast and reliably it goes off.
Life is too important to take seriously.

TMA Charter member #78
Valid until 8/16/2015
President, Lansing Muzzleloading Gun Club
Visit us at: Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:58:28 AM »
Yes, you can prime with 2-F.  Don't need to measure, just fill the pan 1/4th to 1/2 full.

My experiments with my Chief's gun on a bench rest showed me what that gun does.
Its' fastest ignition is with 2-F in the barrel and 4-F in the pan.  
2-f in the pan works well when the weather is damp under hunting conditions when the powder will be in the pan for a while before you shoot.  It doesn't absorb moisture as quickly as 4-F.

Several of my shooting friends use 3-F for the load and prime.  They avoid the need to carry a priming horn and their fire locks always fire.

I tried 3-F loads in my gun but it seamed to me that it fired faster with 2-F loads.

Try the different combinations and find out which your gun responds best with.  It also pays to experiment with position of the prime in the pan.  Try it close to the flash hole, on the outside edge of the pan, in the middle, and all across.  Some guns have a preference.  You will notice this if you are shooting from a bench, perhaps not at all if shooting off-hand.
Steve Sells

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »
yes, 2f *could* work fine in the pan.  all flintlocks are unique, testing is required.  i've used 2f and 3f for priming in most of my flintlocks.  i see no need for special 4f pan powder unless the lock/touch hole/barrel demands its use.  i only use 3f for both the tube and pan in calibers ranging from .36 to .58, ymmv.

Offline River_Rogue

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
The rifle is a trade rifle made by Mike Lange with a Chambers Late Ketland lock. He says it works with 2F that's how he does it.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »
Quote from: "River_Rogue"
The rifle is a trade rifle made by Mike Lange with a Chambers Late Ketland lock. He says it works with 2F that's how he does it.

then yer good to go.  read up on recommendations for how much and where it all goes.

Offline River_Rogue

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »
My main concern was just how much. I've been shooting caps but this is my first flinter. Wanted to make sure I would put the right amount in the pan.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
My main concern was just how much. I've been shooting caps but this is my first flinter. Wanted to make sure I would put the right amount in the pan.

yup, now ya know.  

again - all rifles 'n' locks are different to varying degrees and yer gonna hafta see what works best for yer rifle.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 03:44:31 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"

yup, now ya know.  

again - all rifles 'n' locks are different to varying degrees and yer gonna hafta see what works best for yer rifle.

Yup, and it don't take much! I just use a tiny bit of ffffg when I shoot my trade gun. I would start at 1/4 to 1/3 of a pan, and tend to go down from there rather than up....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »
At the range I prime with a brass thingy,  But in the woods I just dump in powder and shoot.  4F is best but 2F will work fine, albeit a bit slower.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »
I have used 2f 3f and 4f. I can tell no difference in the 3 an 4 an just a tiny bit with the 2. It will work in a pinch. Test out how much in the pan an let your gun tell you how much it wants. Your gun has a personality. Get to know it an you will become the best of friends
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »
Long ago when I had a Bess, I used Ffg in both the barrel and the pan.  On occasion, I used Fg in both and it functioned well.
In my .45 flinter, I use Fffg in both with good results.
Sometimes I will use Ffffg in the pan.  Cannot tell a lot of difference between the 3 and 4.
I always close the frizzen and then tip the rifle lock side down to push the prime away from the touchhole.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life