Traditional Firearms > Caplock Pistols

New to me pistol

(1/5) > >>

KDubs:
  [ Invalid Attachment ]
 A member of my new ML club passed on right about the time I joined,  Duane church aka church mouse.
 The gentleman helping with the widows affairs offered me first choice of Duane's smokepoles and pistols.
  This was my choice, lyman .54 cal.
 Don't know much about pistols, never shot one infact, but I need to learn for rendezvous etc.
 If anyone has words of wisdom on handguns I'd be much obliged.
 Kevin

Bigsmoke:
Good on ya, Kevin.
I've known Duane since the last of the 70's.  He was a great guy and an incredible craftsman.
To have one of his pistols is indeed an honor.
I have always liked Lyman firearms.  They are good, solid, fine shooting weapons.  If it were me, I would treasure it forever.
Next time I make it up to Idaho for rendezvous, we will have to have a little shooting match between our two Lyman pistols.
John (Bigsmoke)

BEAVERMAN:
 :hairy Nice, did the pistol come with any load info? I have an old October Country bag that belonged to one of the founders of our club that I purchased from the estate 22 years ago, have been using it since then and although I never meet the man, I know all the campfire stories of him and it makes me think of him every time I put it on, now if I only knew a guy who was a leather worker and could make me a new bag so i could retire this one. ::)

No Powder:
I sure hope percussion caps become more readily available so you can have some fun with that thing. I'm sorry I can't help you because I don't have one of those, but I'd sure like to have one. Someone will be along shortly with so much information it will make your head spin.

Ohio Joe:
Well, according to an old 1997 DGW Catalog; the Lyman Pistol load projection's are;

.008 depth rifling w/ 1 in 30 Twist;

.50 - 30 gr. 3fg w/ .015 patch & .490 ball

.54 - 40 gr. 3fg w/ .015 patch & .530 ball

Bottom line is that you'll still have to find your best load that works for you... It could be more (and I doubt less) powder / as well as "patch thickness" & if a .495 ball is better than a .490 / and a .535 ball is better than a .530???

Just have to do some testing with what you have.  :bl th up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version