Traditional Firearms > Caplock Pistols

spare parts pistol

(1/2) > >>

Jim in Wisconsin:
A few years ago, I made a single shot pistol using a L-R mule ear lock and a 9 inch piece of cut-off 36 caliber 13/16 rifle barrel. I carved a stock of cherry wood and had enough other stuff laying around to make a sort of chunky looking pistol. It works great and doesn't even look so bad, but the accuracy is not so good. Resting it at 35 - 40 yards I'm lucky to keep them all on a large piece of paper. I think the trouble is that barrel has a 1-48 inch twist, which is too slow for a pistol. I'm using .350 balls with a ticking patch, the same as I use on the 36 rifle - which shoots with nice accuracy.
Any good ideas (besides throwing it in the pond)?

Hank in WV:
How much powder are you using? Maybe try decreasing it a bit.

Jim in Wisconsin:
I've used 20 grains of black powder and up to 30.  20 seemed sort of anemic, 25 had a nice crack to it.

PetahW:

If you've already played around with patch thickness, and/or the muzzle end of the barrel is where you cut it, I'd re-crown it.  :pray:

Jim in Wisconsin:
The muzzle end has been cut, but I have a lathe and turned a nice (at least nice looking) crown and carefully de-burred it. When I find a patch on the ground, it's not cut or burned, in fact they could probably be used again.
Most pistol barrels have a much faster twist than 1-48, with this the ball would make less than 1/4 of a revolution before leaving the barrel. If I could find a 13/16 fast twist barrel in 36 - 40 cal. I would replace this one to try it, but pistol barrels seem to be in short supply now.
I would love to have a Pedersoli Cook underhammer target pistol - but........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version