Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: ignition problem  (Read 1042 times)

Offline 6 beavers

• TMA Forum Member
ignition problem
« on: November 05, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »
I lucked out and was able to pickup a T/C Seneca in .36 cal and it is a sweet shooter. My problem is I can't get the caps to go off consistantly on the first try. Most times takes two sometimes three tries to get the cap to fire. Is there anything I can do to the nipple to get better ignition? I have not been able to find a nipple wrench that will fit this gun . Any ideas would help ...       ..... 6 BEAVERS .....

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:45:15 AM »
Sounds like you have a rifle that was dry fired a lot and the nipple is mushroomed over.
The Seneca uses a nipple with a 12-28 thread.  I would give Cain's a call and order up a replacement nipple from them and a wrench to fit.  They make both.  Their Spitfire nipples are pretty good.
Actually, most any of the muzzleloading catalog houses could help you with the items: Track, Dixie, Log Cabin, Gun Works, etc.
That is a sweet little rifle you have.  Enjoy.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:57:49 AM »
I got a .45 Seneca two rondy seasons ago.  It had exactly the same symptoms.  I took the lock out and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner because I didn't feel like detail stripping it.  Then I loosened and snugged every screw I could get a screwdriver on.  Then I lubed it with a quick spritz of KROIL.   The next day, I blew compressed air through it and relubed with good ol' off the shelf 3 in 1 oil very sparingly.   Now that lock snaps to attention like a USMC Gunnery SGT.  

Apparently the lock was just full of a combination of dirt and old gooey oil.  One other thing is to look in the nose of the hammer, mine had remnants of a fired cap stuck in there.   That wasn't helping a bit.  From the look of things, it had been there since the Kennedy administration.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline 6 beavers

• TMA Forum Member
ignition problem
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 11:15:22 PM »
Thanks Guys, I knew I could depend on you to give some good advice on this minor problem . I figure that the nipple is the original so it would figure that it would need to be replaced . I could probably get the nipple out using the usual handy man methods ( aka vice grips or other nasty tools ) , but I figure She deserves a proper nipple wrench to do the job properly . My 11 yr. old son has fell in love with this gun so I had better treat it right . He has learned to load it and fire it . I ask him how to load it , his answer is P P B (powder ,patch, ball,) . I only get to shoot it  myself if he's at school , then I catch it for not waiting for him to get home . Glad thats my only worry  :lol:  :lol:  again thanks guys for the help ........ 6 Beavers ......