Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: twist rate of CVA mountain  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 07:57:17 AM »
I can understand where you are coming from.  T/Cs are well built rifles but I never found one that fit me.  Larger hunting and 100 yard loads always smacked my cheekbone.  

The Mountain Rifle has a little more drop than the T/C and may work for you.  I had the same problem with the CVA stock as the T/C - just the way I'm built I guess.  I put a Leman stock on my Mountain Rifle.  It gave me the 15 inch pull I like and a little more drop.  I've been using that rifle for thirty years and was the best thing I did for it.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:22 AM »
Well I think the guys have pretty much covered it .
 The CVA mountain rifle  has about ¾  to maybe 1 inch more drop at the heal then  the TC does .
IF its an original .
 Today , if I recall TC  and CVA both use an average 2 ½  to 2 ¾ drop  at the heal .  Myself I personally don’t think this fits anyone well . But it is more along the lines of  center fire dimensions  and this more acceptable to those  who  seem to want a scope mounted ..
 I could be wrong as I have not seen or measured one of the  mountain rifles  put out by cabin creek . They say its supposed to be off of the original CVA  mountain rifle stock pattern

The Mountain rifle   though was CVA’s flagship .  The American made  model  minus issues with the main springs  is and was every bit as well built as anything TC has  made .
 The barrel  should be a 1 in 66 .  If its marked made in the USA it will be a Douglas or Sharon barrel .
 Its worthy to not here that  these barrels were extruded NOT drawn as is  the standard for all companies today ..  I have read where Douglas had an issue with this   as did many other barrel makers  during that time .  Basically as I understand it  the barrels would crack during the breeching .
 Myself though  I personally have never heard of one failing  after  completion  and have become to  be very sought after despite being  made from extruded  steel . So much so that in the last few year  the prices of used CVA mountain rifles  with barrels stamped “ MADE IN THE USA” have climbed to  near or past  used TC rifles . In fact I have seen them sell for more then a New Lyman.
 I think this has also helped cabin creek  boost its cost of  the new mountain rifles  somewhat .

Now why I say probably  it’s a 1 in 66 .
 Up untell a few months of ago I would have  stood up and stated flat out that CVA never produced a barrel in any of it   traditional rifles  in anything but 1 in 66 . But recently I  took an early CVA Kentucky  in on trade . The PO stated he  never could  hit a can at 10 ft with the rifle .  One of the reasons I snagged it was because the barrel is un marked . As I said  very early CVA . Possibly  a Sharon  or Douglas  barrel . Which as I understand it ,were also used on a very limited number of Kentucky’s  during 2  very limited production runs by CVA .
 The first was  run was a full stock  Kentucky .  Second  was  the two piece stock and just prior to CVA switching over to Jukar  contracts .

It sat out in my shop for  a few months before I had a customer that wanted a revamp . When I took it down  to check the rifle out , I found something very odd  and  told the customer I could not revamp the rifle for them .  I have not measured it  but it may be as fast as 1 in 12 . How that barrel got on that rifle  is beyond me . Its to fast a twist for most anything .  I have thought about it often am have come to the possibility that it may have been a blank  that was intended for  pistol stock  and somehow  found its way into   the rifle barrel pile ????

So I would ask your friend to check  the twist . I would be 99.99% sure  his mountain rifle would be a 1 in 66 . But CVA did so many different things  through the years , one cannot be 100% certain  without checking it .

As to your stock issues ..
 My honest opinion IronDawg  is that you can  spend a lot of time and money buying production guns .  Searching for ones with a little more drop . Then what is standard today .  The traditions Pennsylvania and Kentucky both have  lots of drop . But the also carry the roman nose type comb . Which for me , beats my face up..
 Or you can just settle for the fact that  your best option is a custom stock  that is cut to fit your need .
  With your rotator cup issue , I would thing you would need something designed to be shot from the should not from the arm  IE no croissant  butt.
Also something with a large amount of drop and cast off , so as   to have the sight plain  center of the eye , while the neck is erect.  IE not leaning   forward   and minimal  tilting of your neck .
 You simply not going to find that in any production gun

Anything that has the creissant or simi cresant butt plate   and thus meant to shoot off the for  arm just off the shoulder  or right on the joint of the shoulder is going to cause you issues with heavier loads  and especially in heavier calibers. Combine that with  a short drop where you have to twist and lean . Its all going to throw more  pressure right in to your rotator

The butt plate on the Mountain rifle is  somewhat  like what you have on your Lyman . However the distance from the heal to toe is  as I recall about 1 inch less  then the lyman  .

Anyway , I have wrote more here then probably was needed . Hope it helps you some

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 11:37:08 AM »
DANG! thanks Cap. And thanks eveyone else here as well!
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:48:47 PM »
OK, it says SPAIN on the barrel so I'm guessing a "douglas" is out. But it's 1-60 twist. and on it's way here.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10