Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Hey whats whats!!! Whats this??  (Read 1110 times)

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
Hey whats whats!!! Whats this??
« on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »
I offered up some centerfire barrels I don't use anymore for trades on my home site.... yea looking to swap in to another traditional muzzleloader (I enjoy the horse tradin side of things). But I'm still a rookie and dunno alot......  This is a description a fella just sent me

58 cal 2 bander London Armoury co,glass bedded trigger job, renactment compeditor,white canvas sling,shoots the big bullet

This sounds like some sort of maybe english musket or replica of an infantry gun???? Am I on the right track??

This fella is one county up so me and him can actually hook up and I can inspect locks, bores etc etc so thats not of concern. Whats of concern is he could have just said "I gotta wally filberton wiggledy jibbit" and I would still be no closer to knowing.

2 bander?? Thats like the bands or wedding bands on a roundbarrel smooth bore yea?? Or is that like the rings that wrap around the barrel and forearm?? Or is that the same thing?? All I know is it aint no mt. rifle so I'm lost.
It's not what you've done. It's how you did it.
TMA member #516 ex. 11/16/10

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 12:00:38 AM »
The description sounds like a 2-band 1858 .577 Enfield,... to me.

If so,... the "2-bands" would be around the barrel AND forearm.
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »
Enfield.... Thats an old infantry rifle right?? Used to actually have a bayonet attachment on the front?? usually a smooth bore weren't they?  wasn't that one of the first to be converted to cartridges??

See that glass bedded trigger job remark is throwing me off. That sounds like cartridge talk not front stuffer talk doesn't it. I've never thought or heard of anyone bedding a side lock.

OK update. I found some picks of london armory (original 3 bands) And this on the enfield.....

Common Guns in the Civil War
577 Enfield Musket
The .577 British rifle musket made at their armory at Enfield Lock fired the same Minie ball and paper cartridge ammunition as the U.S. .58 Springfield rifle musket. The British Enfield was popular with many soldiers during the Civil War.  The Enfield and Springfield muskets were nearly the same identical length, weight, and used the same kind of bayonet.

The mass conscript armies of both sides in the American Civil War overwhelmed the ability to make enough guns. Particularly during the first years of the Civil War, many foreign muskets were imported, by both sides. Sometimes the North bought them up to keep the South from getting them.

The Enfield musket was first produced in 1853 at the Royal Small Arms Factory located on an island in the Lee River, drawing the name from Enfield Lock for water transportation.  The army munitions factory opened here in 1816 and closed as recently as 1987.   The Enfield rifle musket was capable of grouping its shots into a 4 inch circle at 100 yards and could hit a man at 600 yards.  The 500 grain bullet could penetrate 4 inches of timber at 1000 yards, probably using pine.  The Enfield first saw serious service in the Crimean War and was the British shoulder arm in the Indian Mutiny.

The Enfield had a finely adjustable rear sight. The Springfield rear sight came with two leaves for adjustment to the three ranges of 100, 300, and 500 yards. The Enfield rear sight could be adjusted for any range using a friction cross bar on a standing leaf.  In recreational target shooting, my Dad enjoyed make small adjustments in the rear sight of his Enfield. The difference in actual battle was negligible.

See U.S. 58 Springfield for more information.

The Enfield was carried throughout the British Empire.  Muzzle loading Springfields were adapted to cartridge breech loading with the Allen conversion trapdoor.  The Enfield was similarly altered by a different design known as the Snider.

Technical Information

Length 56 Inches
Weight 9 ½ pounds
Caliber 58 (.58")  
Bullet Weight 500 grains
Power Charge 65 grains
Muzzle Velocity 950 feet per second
Muzzle Energy 1,000 foot pounds

Now I dunno what no paper cartridge is but it doesn't sound like something I wanna get in to. But from what I can find on the london armory they're saying it's a cap and ball muzzle loader. That sounds like something neat to play with.

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:16:11 AM »
yep it would be with rolling B . im thinking an Enfield . just sold one this spring  but it was an Arm sport .
 it should be a rifled bore lance . very shallow and fine rifling with a slow twist 1 in 78 .
it  will shoot RB or Big heavy mini ball

loading was done  with paper cartridges , as was the norm   for military ..  The name is deserving . Its just  basically a paper tube that holds the powder and ball . It torn open , the powder dumped down the barrel . Paper is then used as wadding and the mini driven down . Its not a shell ..

The triggers   were pinned . As such it can get lose and wobble . I would bet he glassed  it to help hold it true to the pivot  . But you never know . It could also mean the stock has been broke
 The part that bothers me is “renactment compeditor”
 What does that mean ???? is it not a shooter,,,,,, just a show piece ?
 One would have to see it

Offline IronDawg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 07:20:12 AM »
Thanks Guys. And yea Cap. considering I'm gonna be able to lay hands on it?? not just gonna see it. Ones gonna hafta SHOOT IT. before I swap for it. ;)