Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Whats the difference?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
Whats the difference?
« on: February 25, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
Hey guy's, I seen this question on another forum and nobody seemed to have a good answer so I thought that I would see what you all had to say about it so here goes.

What is the difference between a #10 and a #11 cap for percussion firearms?

Thanks for your time.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
The diameter of the cap.  The #10 is smaller.  it seems like RWS used to give the diameter of their caps, but not so positive.  Good thing to look up, for those that are inclined to do research.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
Got this from some other sight that I've long forgotten.
[albumimg:3snczg8x]4736[/albumimg:3snczg8x]

Rem #10, Rem #11, Cci #10, Cci #11, Rws1075

Bottom line, 10's are supposed to be smaller than 11's but caps vary by manufacturer. Once you find one that fits the nipples you use, stick with it.

Note: Click on thumbnail to get a bigger picture.
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »
From what I think I've seen, Remington seems to use a softer material, or they have larger pleats, or something. It seems that they can be stretched down further than CCI.
I could just be dreaming this, but that's OK.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
In my experience, there's more difference between lots of the same maker's caps than in that maker's sizes.  This holds when comparing differing manufacturers as well.  

To put it succinctly:  It's a crap shoot.

It only gets better when comparing nipple sizes and profiles.  

When I first started in Muzzleloader shooting, there was a discount chain called "Jafco" based in Seattle.  Just before they went belly-up in about 1980, they had a big sale to get rid of all their shooting stuff.  I bought two bricks of percussion caps, one Remington and one CCI.  Both #10's and both noticeably different in inside diameter and depth. Due to a pricing SNAFU I got them both for $1.29 for a brick of 1000. I called it to the manager's attention and he said it was too much hassle to straighten it out so,  "Good Shooting".   Both were darn good caps, too.  I'm now working on another brick of CCI caps, of current production.   They're good stuff, too.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:41:45 AM »
IMHO caps is caps and if they make the powder go boom without noticeable delay at the first hammer-fall I am happy.I did get a couple thousand navy arms caps some years ago and they were excellent I have not seen them again.I have used 10s on a rifle just filed the nipple in a drill press,did the same thing to use RWS. I agree the quality control has suffered with variation in the same mfg's caps.Now it seems that 10s are easy to get 11s a little more difficult and getting pricier all the time.Back to rock locks I guess.

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Also, #10 caps are commonly used on perc. revolvers while #11 are for single shots and rifles!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016