Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: TC Renegade .50  (Read 1233 times)

Offline paradox

• TMA Forum Member
TC Renegade .50
« on: October 29, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »
Hey guys, im looking in getting a used TC Renegade .50. I wonder what  distance capabilites this ML offers in hunting situation. thanks, best regards. are conicle better suited to give a more fpe impact?

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
T C Renegade
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to the fire. Someone may have some ballistics, fpe etc for ya right along. But for my point of view I have shot deer at a distance approaching 130 yards with a round ball. I wasn't trying to knock it off it's feet, just trying get a ball thru their vitals.  Which I did and they didn't run out of sight. When you decide to hunt traditional style, you forgo all the high tech redneck stuff, and concentrate on hunting with open sights and using your hunting skills to close the distance so you can put your shot where it counts. You are not losing any capabilities for taking game, just increasing your skills and satisfaction. Hope you are game to accept the style and satisfaction trad muzzleloading gives. Regards GH.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline paradox

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Thanks GH! the more i learn the more i like!

Offline Martin_G

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:09 PM »
Hi Paradox,

Welcome to the forum! FWIW, my advice is #1) listen to the more experienced guys on the forum, they won't steer ya wrong.

#2) try to get as acquainted as possible with your particular muzzleloader so you know its capabilities. Get a good powder measure, lube for patches(BoreButter comes to mind), patches, and some balls. The patches come in different thicknesses.

#3)Don't use those pellet type powders. DO use black powder such as Goex & Swiss. These are brand names,but not the only ones. The pellet type powder is for..........inlines.

#4)The Renegade most likely has a 1 in 48" twist which is a compromise twist. It will shoot PRB's (patched roundball) ok, and it will also do ok with a minie' style conical(unpatched). However, this twist is way too slow for sabots. Sabots are used with barrels that have a 1 in 28" twist.

The balls for a 50cal are usually somewhere around .490" to .495", but they also have .480" too depending how loose or tight it is from the factory. Some companies barrels vary alot while others have much better quality control. This just a ballpark guess to get you started.

Some of the other guys might tell ya what their pet load is to give you a good starting point, OR it just might be the load your rifle loves!

You can clean the critter with hot soapy water with a patch on your ramrod. After its clean make sure its dry.

One word of caution: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LOAD YOUR RIFLE RIGHT FROM THE POWDER CONTAINER that the powder came in!!!

Get in the habit of loading from a much smaller container so if a spark was to hit the powder it won't be terrible.

Some companies have a plastic container that holds a BALL, Percussion cap, and 1 charge of powder. This are easy & safe to use. Thompson-Center still makes then I believe.

Well, Paradox, these are the bare basics. There is more to it but I'm sure the other members will fill ya in on more detail!

Now go enjoy yer rifle!

Martin

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »
My father has a .50 Renegade.....round ball,80g of 3f and
doesn't take a shot past 100yds.

FWIW
Jed"3Beavers"
Ontario Canada Provincial TMA Representative[/color]
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Martin_G

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
Hi Trois,

Do you know what diameter ball and thickness of the patch was?

This might help Paradox develop a good load for his rifle.

Thanks,

Martin

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
Quote from: "Martin_G"
Do you know what diameter ball and thickness of the patch was?
.490 Ball with a.015 patch
Jed"3Beavers"
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Shadow Hawk

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
hey there paradox

welcome to theforum. :shake
 i also have a 50. renagade i use 75 grains of 3f goex blackpowder
 a .15 thick patch luded with borebutter and a .490 roundball.
 i would feel fine taking a shot at a deer at 100+ yards. and with practice even longer.
  hope this helps
State Rep Washington State, Central Washington
TMA Member # 501 expires 8/30/15

Offline paradox

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 11:08:36 AM »
Hello ! thanks for the load infos. and general use guides. ive been doing lots of research being im (rather i was) more familiar with the xxlines. Will be taking a look at the Renegade today!!!

Martin, thanks for the; dont load from can tip, i wasnt planning on doing so BUT in all posts ive read from different sites, you're the only one who's mentionned it.

3 beavers, seems like your in my neck of the woods! perhaps just a bit more North. still good to see an enthousiatic close by!

thanks again! regards.
P

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »
I have a Renegade with a .50 barrel and a .54barrel ,which it came with,I just found a .50 for a good price and grabbed it.
  I use 95 gr. with a patched ball for my big game hunting and of course for sighting in for hunting, for target and rangev work Iuse 65 gr. behind a patched ball Iuse 95 gr with a Maxi ball also I just adjust for more drop mostly because my bone n hunting measure is 95 gr. I'mcomfotable to 120 ydsbut Ican't recall ever shooting one that far ,most times I get within 60 yards and they don't go far
!this is with the .54
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »
As has been said adequately above, your rifle is plenty capable and effective to 100 yards and farther if you do your part.  Closer is better but 100 yards is well within the rifles capable and effective range. Lots of folks do fine with the round ball in the 1:48 twist. Some don't.  I shot a 1:48 TC Hawken for a while before I got even deeper into "traditional" MLing. It really liked the power belt bullets. 90 to 100 grains of 2F or even Triple 7 or Pyrodex behind the 270 or heavier Power Belt bullets would shoot admirable groups at 100 yards and did a fine job slamming deer to the ground. After about ten kills I got bored and had me a custom flintlock PRB gun built and have never looked back. Keep your gun clean, be meticulous with your loading procedure, keep your nipple picked and cleaned out all the way into your charge and you will be fine. Real black powder is the way to go. Most shoot Goex. FWIW your gun will probably shoot the solid heavy conicals like a dream and those thumpers will put a deer's chin in the dirt quick!! Whatever you go with, enjoy the ride. :-)

Offline Trois Castors

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »
Quote from: "paradox"
3 beavers, seems like your in my neck of the woods! perhaps just a bit more North. still good to see an enthousiatic close by!
Whereabouts? :?
Jed"3Beavers"
TMA#272 till 09/01/16
Friends of the Voyageur
Saugeen Paddlers

Offline Firewalker

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:40 PM »
Had several of these fine rifles. They shoot a PRB quite well. Forget all the patch thickness stuff. Go to Walmart or a fabric store and buy a half yard of blue and white pillow ticking. Smear it with patch lube, the simplest is Crisco and use a .490 RB. That will do the trick and get you started. I'd use 70g for targets and 90-95g for hunting. 3F or Pyrodex will do the job.
Once you get to shooting you can learn all the finesse later. Keep it simple to start.
I've been shooting traditional muzzleloaders for close to 40 years and the above combination has always worked for me.
Enjoy
Firewalker aka Bob
TMA Charter Member #137

"Life doesn't come with a guarantee; eat your desert first." D. Kelman