Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cva Mountain rifle kit  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Stevep51d

• TMA Forum Member
Cva Mountain rifle kit
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:29:16 PM »
 Found a new in the box 1978 Made in America Cva Mountain rifle kit...50 cal. What is your opinions of this rifle? Is it worth messing with? I just bought a new 50 cal. GM round ball barrel for my T/c Hawken from track so I don't know if it is worth messing with..

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Re: Cva Mountain rifle kit
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »
This may not answer all your questions, but the entire thread is worth a look:  http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/239569/  Btw, the CVA Mt. rifles are known to be accurate shooters.

Offline Stevep51d

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:41:17 PM »
For some reason it says I can't view the page?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:42:26 PM »
Found a new in the box 1978 Made in America Cva Mountain rifle kit...50 cal. What is your opinions of this rifle? Is it worth messing with? I just bought a new 50 cal. GM round ball barrel for my T/c Hawken from track so I don't know if it is worth messing with..

Well, I still have mine (CVA Mnt Rifle .50 cal) that I probably bought I think in 1978/79... I haven't shot it in years, but it's still a good rifle IMHO. Most likely it has a Douglas Barrel w/ 1 in 66 twist & .008 depth rifling... I'd still do the .50 GMB on the T/C... No reason not to have a backup if the price is right.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Stevep51d

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
It is not something I need but I was looking at it for sentimental reasons.....I this it is high for 395.00

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
It is not something I need but I was looking at it for sentimental reasons.....I this it is high for 395.00

I agree... If you're gonna pay $395.00 for it,,, you might as well come up with the difference in cost for a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit. Far superior kit, IMHO.

Offline Stevep51d

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »

I agree... If you're gonna pay $395.00 for it,,, you might as well come up with the difference in cost for a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit. Far superior kit, IMHO.

And considering the cost of a different lock and whatnot just too high....I have four T/C Hawken and a 50 caliber Flintlock longrifle so I am not hurting for a gun..Trying to not be compulsive...

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 11:52:29 PM »
I agree that is a bit steep of a price, they are however great shooters. That said, eventually the lock main spring will wear out, the lock as a whole is low quality. L&R makes a rpl replacement lock to fit but thats another $150+ and thats when you would be upside down.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 12:29:54 AM »
I agree that is a bit steep of a price, they are however great shooters. That said, eventually the lock main spring will wear out, the lock as a whole is low quality. L&R makes a rpl replacement lock to fit but thats another $150+ and thats when you would be upside down.

I agree Dan.  :bl th up
That L&R RPL lock is going to really push it over the top...however, if the seller would make an adjustment on the price, it just might get interesting since "it's new in the Box", that's assuming everything else is in prime condition.

It's unfortunate the locks on those rifles was so poorly made, the rifle was great for three to four hundred rounds, but the lock started going down hill after that.
At least that was my own experience, and my being witness to several others over the years.

As with everything else in life, your personal mileage may vary a bit, and I feel sure there is an exception or two out there.

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
Agree Uncle Russ, back then some of those kits had good maple stocks too. I dont know what venue this rifle is listed in but I personally would try to dicker the price, there may be room.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
I gotta say, back in 1977 / 78, I don't recall paying more then $69.00 each for the two CVA Mnt Rifle Kits I bought.  I think I only paid $49.00 for the CVA (2 pc stock) Kentucky rifle... Of course, that was a long time ago... I did stop at Dixie Gun Works (probably 25 years ago or there about's), on a trip to visit family in Ohio, and Turner Kirkland waited on me. He sold me main springs for my CVA Locks for those three rifles I mentioned above and I recall him telling me that "these" springs that he was selling were much better then the spring that came in the lock.  He was right, as I've never had a problem with a broken main-spring after that, and I was still shooting those CVA Mnt Rifles quite a bit back then.

As I said, that was a long time ago. And it was not uncommon to have a main-spring break with those locks.  I was lucky as when they did brake they didn't damage the lock mortise.

:shake
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:03:51 PM by Ohio Joe »

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
I bought one of these kits back in 1986 and it was a pretty decent rifle.  My Hodge-Podge rifle is basically the CVA Mtn. Rifle as sold by Deer Creek.  CVA parts, their barrel which, I believe, is made on the Douglas machinery which they bought when Douglas dropped out of the BP market.  The Spanish flint lock has been cycled hundreds if not thousands of times and seems to be going strong - you just need to lube it well.  The price seems to fall right in there with the Traditions Mtn. Rifle of modern (Spanish) manufacture and those seem to do well from what I have heard about them.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 08:01:33 PM »
Quote from: Winter Hawk
......... their barrel which, I believe, is made on the Douglas machinery which they bought when Douglas dropped out of the BP market.

I have heard this same story many times.
Same with T/C....I know Douglas contracted for several thousand barrels with T/C making barrels to T/C specification, but that was before T/C ended the practice of allowing their barrel contractors put their own "mark" on the T/C barrels.
If I remember correctly Douglas used a small "spade", as in Ace of Spades, or a "D", to mark their barrels and it was often stamped on the bottom of the barrel near or on the breech itself...often the stamp was incomplete, and looked more like a scythe than either a spade or a D....

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
My .50 CVA Mtn Rifle is my go-to deer rifle. My B'ar rifle is a .58 put together from Big Bore CVA Mtn Rifle parts. If'n you don't buy that kit, let us know where it be....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Stevep51d

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
Well guys,
 I contacted the man and he did have a little wiggle room and he let me have it for 395 shipped out the door.....Nothing great but not too bad either..... It is a 3 hole patchbox rifle with a Maple stock and American made barrel.......If the wife gives me too much dickens I will let one of you all have it...I just want it for display in the box. I will keep you guys informed....Now none of you guys call my wife! OK