Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Baker Rifle  (Read 13798 times)

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
Baker Rifle
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »
Thanks for that information on the article by Bill Knight. I know Bill knight and I will look forward to discussing this further with him. In the notes section of that article he does state that the caliber and type of powder did determine the rate of twist.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2006, 09:48:12 PM »
If there was ever a S.M.E. (subject matter expert) when it comes to Black Powder, it is indeed Bill Knight....often seen as the Mad Monk.
I was a member of the BPCR Single Shot Assn. at one time, back about 5 or 6 years ago, and between Bill Knight, and Dick Trenk, (Now the North America Pedersoli Rep.) the two of them can literally flood a person's mind with information.
I realize they are both quite busy, but I would like very much to get both of these old boys in the TMA. They have a tremendous amount of knowledge, and both are quite willing to share.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
Baker Rifle
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2006, 09:56:58 AM »
I will see what I can do to get Bill Knight on the forum. He is a fantastic man who is willing to share his wealth of information.

Quote from: "RussB"
If there was ever a S.M.E. (subject matter expert) when it comes to Black Powder, it is indeed Bill Knight....often seen as the Mad Monk.
I was a member of the BPCR Single Shot Assn. at one time, back about 5 or 6 years ago, and between Bill Knight, and Dick Trenk, (Now the North America Pedersoli Rep.) the two of them can literally flood a person's mind with information.
I realize they are both quite busy, but I would like very much to get both of these old boys in the TMA. They have a tremendous amount of knowledge, and both are quite willing to share.

Russ...
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline dbm

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.researchpress.co.uk
Re: Baker Rifle
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 08:14:26 AM »
Quote from: "chuckpa"
Sir Michael has pointed out that to get accuracy from a reproduction Baker Rifle you have to use a different twist.

But is a repro Baker that uses a different twist (or rifling?) to the original really a repro Baker? It might look like one but can it truly be regarded as a repro?

With regards to the rifling twist, how much did the military application of the rifle impact on this? Does using a faster twist slow down the loading process (& increase fouling?) which for a rifleman might be an important issue....

Re. discussion of contemporary powder measurement, I have quite a lengthy article on the subject from Bill Curtis who with De Witt Bailey investigated the subject some years ago. I will add it to my web site in the next week and post info. here.

David
David Minshall - www.researchpress.co.uk ~ www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, Long Range Target Shooting & Associated History

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2006, 07:50:36 PM »
The Baker Rifle with a different rifling then the original as far as I'm concerned is a repro. If the rifle will not shoot accurately because we can't get the type of gun powder over here that was originally used then the rifle is of no use to me. If I wanted it to be exactly as the original for some reason then I could order a second barrel with the original twist. The Baker as it is sold comes with a smooth bore. so I guess it isn't a repro. However I will let others debate the issue of what constitutes a repro, I want a rifle I can hit something with.

According to "British Military Firearms 1650 -1850" by Howard L. Blackmore, accuracy was the consideration in the tests of the rifling twist. See pages 113 and 117

There is a 95Th rifles reenactment group in England and maybe they might have some ideas on what a repro is.

Quote from: "dbm"
Sir Michael has pointed out that to get accuracy from a reproduction Baker Rifle you have to use a different twist.

But is a repro Baker that uses a different twist (or rifling?) to the original really a repro Baker? It might look like one but can it truly be regarded as a repro?

With regards to the rifling twist, how much did the military application of the rifle impact on this? Does using a faster twist slow down the loading process (& increase fouling?) which for a rifleman might be an important issue....

Re. discussion of contemporary powder measurement, I have quite a lengthy article on the subject from Bill Curtis who with De Witt Bailey investigated the subject some years ago. I will add it to my web site in the next week and post info. here.

David
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
Baker Rifle
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2006, 09:41:43 PM »
dbm
You might also want to check on page 184 of "British Military Firearms 1650 -1850. There is a discussion of the balance between rifling and fowling. " The military rifle maker had to strike a happy medium between a twist which would give the greatest accuracy and one which would not foul or strip under battle conditions. It was a problem which seemed to have no definite answer."

I hope this helps.
This sure is a fascinating thing to study. If you come up with any more information from your sources in England please share them with us.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
Baker Rifle
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2006, 06:07:45 PM »
Tomorrow night at 9:00pm EST The National Geographic channel they will have a show on Napoleon's last battle. I wonder if it will include some riflemen with Baker Rifles. I thought some of you folks might be interested.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Puffer

• TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2006, 10:09:42 PM »
Tomorrow night at 9:00pm EST The National Geographic channel they will have a show on Napoleon's last battle. I wonder if it will include some riflemen with Baker Rifles. I thought some of you folks might be interested.

Thanks.

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
Baker Rifle
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2006, 05:59:03 PM »
Puffer
Have you been shooting your Baker? Please share results etc. I expect mine with the new barrel very soon.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Puffer

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2006, 08:44:40 PM »
Puffer
Have you been shooting your Baker? Please share results etc. I expect mine with the new barrel very soon.

YEP  :applaud

Group 3 was off hand ( my excuse is that, that Baker is HEAVY  :happy (my partner took out the other 2. In the next round I loaded 100 gr.s  :evil:  But I missed my 1st shot & the other team took theirs out befor I could get off another shot  :Doh!

I hope to get out this mo. & try working up some loads with FF. I'll let you know the results.

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
Baker Rifle
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing that puffer, those groups are impressive.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Puffer

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing that puffer, those groups are impressive.

Chuck, I'm getting antsy to see you get your "Baker"  ( I know your "not the least bit anxious  :rofl ) I'm sure that once you get that puppy in shape, you will be putting up groups even more impressive.

Puffer
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2006, 08:00:57 PM »
I'm getting very antsy to get my Baker Mr. Rayl told me he would have it done by the end of June. I guess he has a lot of work and I know his barrels are worth waiting for. I guess I will have to be content with just reading the history of the rifle and the milatary units that used it for awhile. Don't worry as soon as I get it I'll let you know it.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009

Offline Squire Robin

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.flintlocks.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2006, 06:15:23 AM »
Quote from: "dbm"
With regards to the rifling twist, how much did the military application of the rifle impact on this?

I've been reading Baker's book  :)  

Baker knew the continentals preferred 3/4 to 1 turn in 3 feet but when he experimented shooting at 300 yards it went awry with the bigger charges. He tried lighter twists and found the nearer to straight the better the results and put it down to "the ball stripped over the top of the rifling"

With one quarter turn in his barrel he found he could, "range further, and more true, than in any previous trial, and with less elevation. In loading, also, the friction is not so great, and the ball is not so impeded in coming out of the barrel by the angle in the barrel more approaching the straight line".

Squire Robin
Expires 02/10/2012
Member Number 61

Offline chuckpa

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2006, 09:06:11 PM »
Squire
That question was asked by David. I'm very anxious to find out what kind of accuracy you can get from your original rifle. I would also like to know what brand of gunpowder you are useing, what granulation and what charge? I loved that vid you so kindly shared with us. I can't tell you how happy I am that someone is shooting an original and can give us some answers.
Chuck Beasley
member # 350
valid until 6/1/2009