Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Building a new Hawken, advice?  (Read 2423 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
Now Beaverman, You've done gone and made me a might jealous with your story!!! You got to hold a sho-nuff original full stock flintlock Hawken!!!!  I too wish you had taken a picture!!!

Jerry,
   I may very well try to make that Hatchie Run event. It is close to home and I am sure if there is stuff for sale I can find something I need like a new hatchet!!  It will all depend on exactly how well the smallmouth are biting on Pickwick about then!! :-)

Mark, Im hoping to get back to Chicago this year and have talked with this gentlemen, about visiting several times and hes' agreed to allow me to take as many pics and measurements of any gun i wish, this stuffs got to be preserved for historical reference, Im more concerned with the more obscure builders pieces that he owns, evryone has documented Hawkens, Becks, Lemans, Dickerts etc, its the local small town builders that re known and listed in books that have few refrences or pictures of their work that Im interetsed in, along with his collection of fowlers and english shotguns, he has a double barrled flint Baker shotgun thats just drop dead beautiful and very well made that Im interetsed in trying to reproduce, hope I can get back there before the ol boy goes under!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 03:04:56 PM »
Well them little mouth's will eventually quit biting
we got monthly shoots, and rondy's in March, June And October
You are welcome to attend any or all
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
Jerry,
  If I were a better fisherman I could catch the darn things the rest of the year, but as it is that spring turn on from mid to late March to mid June is a "special time" for bronzeback yanking. Either way, I promise to make it a point to make a monthly shoot or rondy with you fellers and see what all the fuss is about!! My wife will be so proud as I need another addiction about like......well...you know! :-)  

Men, I am outta here for the day today. I will check back and see how yall's pulse is beating tommorrow. Have a Blessed afternoon and don't forget to say your prayers at bedtime!

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:00:13 AM »
Quote from: "mark davidson"
Now Beaverman, You've done gone and made me a might jealous with your story!!! You got to hold a sho-nuff original full stock flintlock Hawken!!!!  I too wish you had taken a picture!!!

Jerry,
   I may very well try to make that Hatchie Run event. It is close to home and I am sure if there is stuff for sale I can find something I need like a new hatchet!!  It will all depend on exactly how well the smallmouth are biting on Pickwick about then!! :-)

For a little while The Hawken Shop was located near Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island.  While they were here they brought an original half stock .50 Hawken rifle to the CMM shows each Spring.  I would go their table just to hold that rifle and feel the waves of goose bumps go up and down my body.  It had the plainest of plain percussion locks and a snail bolster breechplug with not a speck of any metal but iron showing.  I asked them about Hawken flinters and they said there is no known example of one and no mention of one in the Hawken records.  So like Rollingb says any flint Hawkens are fantasy rifles until they can be verified by a prime source.

That said, I have never heard of or seen anyone booted out of a rondy for any reason other than illegal acts or gross misconduct.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
All I can tell you is what Ive seen and held, like Jerry said, build what ya want unless your dead set on being HC with the build, Im at the moment completing a full stock 54 generic plains rifle, not attributed to any builder, althoug all the hardware is iron "Hawken" stuff , its a capper with a drum and I used the interchangable L&R lock, so i can drop the cap lock, remove the drum, install vent liner and drop in the L&R rock lock
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »
Quote from: "BEAVERMAN"
All I can tell you is what Ive seen and held, like Jerry said, build what ya want unless your dead set on being HC with the build, Im at the moment completing a full stock 54 generic plains rifle, not attributed to any builder, althoug all the hardware is iron "Hawken" stuff , its a capper with a drum and I used the interchangable L&R lock, so i can drop the cap lock, remove the drum, install vent liner and drop in the L&R rock lock

Now, if'n yer wantin' to go period keerreket and flinter at the same time, I'd take a long gander at a Leman type trade rifle.  Hunnerts if not thousands, dozens maybe,  of those all over the plains and mountains.   Dang perty guns, too.

PS: My much loved ol' T-C Hawken started life as a flinchlock kit in 1969.  Then in the mid 70's I got a burr under my blanket and bought  a T-C percussion lock, made up a drum and converted to concussion.  I also bought and fitted a cast steel buttplate to replace the brass one that came in the kit, and cast a babbit nose cap.   I have had actual arguments with a couple of guys about the provenance of my rifle.  There are a thousand ways of making a rifle your own.  

My 2 cents.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline cb

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.wrtcleather.com
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 03:03:18 AM »
I asked them about Hawken flinters and they said there is no known example of one and no mention of one in the Hawken records. So like Rollingb says any flint Hawkens are fantasy rifles until they can be verified by a prime source.

With respect, but some of the info being passed on by folks including some posted on the Hawken Shoppe site is old and/or incorrect info:
1) The Smithsonian Hawken has been verified by certain knowledgeable folks to be a conversion from flint to percussion and it was built in the 1850's, some 25-30 years after the brothers joined forces. There are some "experts"who dispute this, but none that I know have actually inspected the rifle in person, rather they base their assertion on the known photos and their own "prejudices". There are also a couple of other conversions that have not been verified, but are very good possibilities (see below).

2) Regarding documentation:
Charles Hanson wrote his book about the brothers Hawken back in 1983, and unfortunately far too many people have accepted it as the final word, something the good doctor warned against. Plus some of his arguments/conclusions are not based on the best scholarship, something he also warned about, yet did himself.
Since then more info has come to light - for instance:
1) Dr. Hansen stated that there were no records of a Hawken ever going to rendezvous. Documentation has now been published showing that in at least three years: 1834, 1836, & 1837, several Hawken rifles did in fact go to rendezvous.
2) He pictured a pre-1825 Sam Hawken made flinter and stated that at that time it was the only one known. Since then several others have come to light. Due to their eastern styling, many consider that these rifles are pre-St. Louis guns, but the fact is they can just as easily have been made between 1822-1825 when Sam first arrived in St. Louis.
This brings up a point that is rarely discussed. For whatever reasons it is commonly envisioned that the Hawken brothers, both of whom had been trained in the Maryland school of long rifles, which are eastern brass mounted flinters, suddenly upon arrival in St. Louis began making what we now consider to be a typical Hawken - iron mounted half-stocks or full stocks in percussion.
What facts we do have, including a few, very few early "transitional" rifles, show that the style developed over time and was not an immediate change from their previous work, just like most other makers.
3) Dr. Hansen also stated that the brass mounted flint Hawken described by George Ruxton in 1846, which he said dated from 1825, was likely a fabrication since he knew of no brass mounted Hawken mountain rifles - but there are in fact a few brass mounted Hawken mountain rifles still in existence, including a J & S Hawken with a converted flintlock and an 1850's period S. Hawken full stock with a converted flintlock. I can supply photos if anyone would like to see tham.

As for the records - unfortunately the records are extremely sparse for the era prior to 1831, a time when flinters were far more popular than percussion guns. Even through most of the 1830's percussion guns, while they did get used in the far west, were not popular until after 1840. For instance the Henry's Bolton Gun works didn't start supplying percussion guns to the fur companies until 1840.
Secondl some more records have come to light since 1983 and give a more complete picture. Also - Dr Hansen used a fairly limited set of fur trade records and they were far from complete. This includes his commonly quoted chart of sales which is based only on sales to the fur companies and does not include the known tax records for 1850, a year in which Sam paid taxes on 100 rifles produced, thus skewing the history of sales.
The brothers as individuals were in business in St Louis, from 1818 (Jake the elder brother) and 1822 (Sam). Both dates are well before the percussion lock was popular and even the 1825 date of their partnership is several years before percussion guns became popular in the west.  Did they stop making guns during a period in which flinters were still king, and only begin when the percussion became popular? In fact the few records still in existence do document that they made guns during the flinter years.

So is a flint Hawken a fantasy? With respect, IMO no since fantasy implies an item made up without any substance in reality, yet the records, while not complete, as well as other circumstantial evidence, implies other wise.
The Hawkens, both as individuals and in partnership, were like most small shops of the time a custom shop, where a customer could order a gun as he desired. And yes like most small shops of the time they also did repair work and general blacksmithing, but nothing in the records indicates they did not make any rifles, in fact just the opposite.
Flint Hawkens IMO are akin to the  the pre-1760 American made rifles - we know they existed, but to date there are no known surviving examples - are they then fantasy too?

On the other hand, as noted above, there are other verifiable flint rifles that went west with the trappers:
The iron mounted Southern rifles and the iron mounted Henry Lancaster for example. Unfortunately for the latter we have no known existing examples, only written records. The one shown in Hansen and other books is not a Henry - it has a Henry barrel and IIRC lock, but the rifle itself was made in NC, by an unknown maker.
Other options are the brass mounted Lancaster style trade rifle as made by Dickert, Gomph, Henry (the most prolific post 1826), and others, including Leman, who was a late comer to the western fur trade - his company's first recorded rifles going to a fur company are post 1840.
Don Stith, whose site I noted above, has been working on a good copy of the Henry and while they are not listed yet on his site, he has sold a kit or two. I'm not sure how much farther he's gone in developing the kits for sale because he hasn't gotten as much interest in them as he'd like to before expending the time and energy - so for those interested in a copy of such a fur trade rifle I'd let Don know. He's also a heck of a nice guy and is one the most knowledgeable people regarding Hawkens in particular, and muzzleloaders of the west in general. He not only owns original Hawkens, from which some of kits are based on and has inspected many, many more - The only way really to understand the nuances in construction which make the Hawken a genuine Hawken and not some other make and something that Don is willing to pass on, usually free of charge.

While not perfect one of the best books available on firearms in the west is "Firearms of the American West: 1803-1865" by Garavaglia and Worman. It contains some older info that has since been updated, but it also contains a lot of primary documentation for the time and place.

And yes handling the old guns is special, I've had the pleasure of handling/inspecting first hand a dozen Hawkens over the years, including the Bridger and the Modena/Medina ones........and if I sound passionate about Hawknes it is because I am, but my passion does not blind me to the facts either, but much of the info available is older and has either been refuted and/or added to - unfortunately much of it is only available by talking with the folks in the know, like Don Stith, most of whom seldom write about it  :cry:
Chuck Burrows aka Grey Wolf

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »
Very good stuff, Chuck, thanks.  Nicely put.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Captchee

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
CB great!!!!! post .
 i would only add 1 thing  that many folks forget
 Hawken was not a school  they were a maker . Today we all to often look at a  half stock rifle and  simply state that it’s a Hawken . Well it most like is not  or for that mater a faithful reproduction an many ways .
 There were many makers who produced these half stocks . Hennery , Derringer   just to name a couple .

We also I think forget that the Hawkens brothers  as you state , did not just ,one day  start building rifles . They came from a very long family of gunsmiths  with roots based soundly in  the old Lancaster school.
 As such it simply an impossibility for  there to not have been full stock , flintlock , long rifles with the Hawkens name on them .
 But you also bring up a very good point , where are these examples ?
Well IMO I think we have to place these in context  of the maker themselves .
Hawkens were not known for making  high end examples. What they were known for is making a quality utilitarian rifle  in very low numbers  when compared to many other makers of their time aimed directly at the working class of people
 I don’t believe this niche would have changed as it really was their bread and butter .

Even concerning  greater makers  of earlier rifles , few examples made  at that level of market  exist. What we most times see  documented are  higher grade pieces  that were for the most part  placed in the middle to up class .
 Thus very few  examples of  rifles owned by the working class  are known .

Also as you stated , times have changed and the information we have now  is 1000X what we had in the 1970’s, 80’s and even the 1990’s .
 I think it would be fantastic if many of these folks  like Hanson, Pope  Shumway  or Lindsey  could   update their writings to the current documentation that’s now available . Sadly that’s never going to happen . But  still the case may be that someone may come along and compile new sources of info.

There are a few examples of Hawken rifles  a couple of the more well known would be the Bridger rifle and the Medena rifle .  And these are what most folks bild copies of or base the beliefs on  when it comes to the hawkens rifles. But we also must remember that these were made late in the era . While both rifles show signs of being well used , we also have  to I think keep in mind that both these rifles were in the hands of fellas that  were past the time of  daily drudgeries  of a typical  average person .
They also possably IMO represent a higher end  rifle made by the brothers

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
I am having Wyosmith put one together for me.
It has a 36 inch barrel GM .54 cal. barrel 15/16th.
It is full stock with patent breech (I am new to this so some of my spelling may be off, please forgive)
Flint with an L&R lock (I think), barrel wedges.

I to watch Jerimiah all the time.

If someone wants to turn their nose up at my gun, oh well its what I want . They don't have to look at it.
And if its a shoot that would not allow to me shoot because of period correctness "Oh well" .

Hope you enjoy what you want, and not what someone elses opinion of what you should have.
Will try to post some pics of mine when I get it.
I am sure with Wyo working on it, it will be drop dead.
Thanks
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Offline Sean McKown

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »
I have a reasonable facsimile of what your looking for, BUT I went percussion.   It sports a 1 1/8 34 inch barrel, in .50 cal,  and it is heavy but it shoots excellent,  I also have another barrel for it, that I built  that is .62  there is a 1 pound dif in weight between the barrels.  The big bore I use for hunting and the .50 I use for shooting(though it has killed 7 deer)  I do like the weight, and would trade it for anything, but thats just me.  And the fullstocks  just do something for me.
Sean McKown
Nebraska TMA State Representative[/color]
TMA Member #182
exp 04/15/14 Just renewed via paypal
NMLRA

Eastern Platte Muzzleloaders
Pioneer Longrifles

Offline Wyoming Mike

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »
Quote from: "jack simpson"
I am having Wyosmith put one together for me.
It has a 36 inch barrel GM .54 cal. barrel 15/16th.
It is full stock with patent breech (I am new to this so some of my spelling may be off, please forgive)
Flint with an L&R lock (I think), barrel wedges.

Oooo!  You'll have to post photos when you get it.  Steve does an awesome job on any gun he does.
Love the smell of black powder in the morning
Smells like fun.

Offline mark davidson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 02:04:33 PM »
CB and Charles,  Wow!!  Thanks for two great posts and the time  it took to share that information.  It is just that type generosity in informativeness that keeps me coming back here every day like a kid to see what new thing I can learn! :-)

Offline jtwodogs

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »
To Mark, and all who commented on this particular thread. When I re-read my post it kinda sounded to me like I was being a smart alec.
I meant no dis-respect to anyone who posted before me.
On the contrary I hold the opinions of what I consider my elders in this area in the most highest regards.
And further more have yet to experience anyone on this thread with an attitude of condescension.
That is why I keep coming back. There is a bunch of good hearted people here.
I guess I am more used to the other part of the gun world who seem to continually put down anything they don't own.
I am learning that not everyone is that way.
Please by patient with me. And forgive any forwardness.
Thanks
Jack
#423 renew 3/14/10
George Washington
" It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible."
 May 12, 1779

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 09:43:49 PM »
No problem Jack. :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6