Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Favorite loads for 50 caliber caplock with 1:62 twist rifle  (Read 545 times)

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
Favorite loads for 50 caliber caplock with 1:62 twist rifle
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »
Does anyone here shoot a 50 caliber 1:62 twist rate?  If so, please share your favorite load combo with me. Just to let everyone know, I've been shooting muzzle loaders for some 10 years now and know how to work up a load, I am simply curious as to what someone else uses as I have never had a 50 caliber with this particular twist rate, plus I've not had the time to make it to the range with this rifle yet.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:05:40 PM by TallTexan »
Member 629

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Favorite loads for 50 caliber 1:56 twist rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:19:10 PM »
i think it will still (actually, always) come down to testing the parameters of powder type and granulation and charge measure, and patch type and thickness and lube.  

i had a lyman trade .50 flinter with that fast 1:48 twist and the most consistently accurate load for that rifle and me was 72gr goex 2f, a 490" ball, and a .014" cotton flannel patch with dutch lube.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Favorite loads for 50 caliber 1:56 twist rifle
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
TallTexan, never had a rifle with that twist but will be curious to see what you come up with. What brand is it or barrel maker?
I have two slow twist 50's,1:66 and they both coincidentally like 65g of 2F. Have tried a few loads with 3F but is not as consistent with any of the loads I have tried.havent given up on three f but 2F seems to be what they like.
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline TallTexan

• TMA Forum Member
  • You can't kill a man who is born to hang.
Re: Favorite loads for 50 caliber 1:62 twist rifle
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
I feel like an idiot!  I don't know why I've been thinking that this barrel was 1:56  :Doh!  Here it is, straight from the builder; 30" x 1" Numrich barrel, .50 caliber with deep-cut 1-62" rifling.

I received this rifle just 5 days before a life threatening illness that landed me in a coma for 9 days last year so I guess I just latched on to the wrong info and kept repeating it so much I started to think it was the truth.  Sorry for that but since this twist is almost the same as my 50 caliber flint, although a bit shorter, I think it's will do well with around 65 grains of 3f, although I'm taking some 2f along to see if there's any difference..  I'll start with 50 grains of 3f and work up from there, as per my usual sight in procedure.

For those who care; this rifle has a left hand Chambers mountain lock with L&R double set triggers all mounted on a moderately curly maple stock finished in dark brown with all browned steel furniture.  German silver front sight with steel semi-buckhorn rear.
Member 629

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Favorite loads for 50 caliber caplock with 1:62 twist ri
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
I had Douglas cut a .50 barrel 1/56 twist. Shoots 60 gr Goex FFg out to 50 yds. W/ 90 gr shoots center at 100.
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th