Craftsmanship > Accoutrements

Please recommend a punch for making patches

<< < (3/4) > >>

Hank in WV:
Well Smokey, I guess you'll just have try them all and pick the one that works best for you. Part of the fun. :bl th up

Winter Hawk:
I buy pillow ticking at JoAnne's then rip it into 1 1/2" strips.  I pre-lube these with whatever is my preferred lubricant at the moment, or just leave them plain for spit patch and cut at the muzzle.  Recently I have been cutting some of the strips into 1 1/2" square patches which may be too large and bunch up when ramming the ball down, but accuracy seems to be the same.

I have had a couple of rifles with coned muzzles and cutting at the muzzle didn't work too well; while cutting the material I would invariably pull the ball out of the barrel with the knife.  Pre-cut patches were necessary in that instance.

I also get flannel material from the same source and cut square cleaning patches from it.  sure is cheaper than buying commercial patches!

~Kees~

RobD:
Precut and lubed patches is an in between load process that's neither slow nor fast.

Once my quick loading ball boards run empty I'll resort to either refilling the boards or load off patch strips at the muzzle.

It's all good, no matter how ya load yer smoke pole.   :bl th up

Smokey:

--- Quote from: RobD on September 12, 2021, 06:00:46 PM ---Precut and lubed patches is an in between load process that's neither slow nor fast.

--- End quote ---

Mostly, consistency has been the benefit that I enjoyed with pre cut patches. Patches allow for the same size piece of cloth going down the barrel each time. 

One the other hand, pre cut patches can be awkward, especially when loading from the bag. Open the tin, grab a patch without spilling the others. oop. Now those two are stuck together . . .    AND I dropped the patch.

The goal is consistency and simplicity. Speed will follow.

RobD:

--- Quote from: Smokey on September 13, 2021, 08:27:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: RobD on September 12, 2021, 06:00:46 PM ---Precut and lubed patches is an in between load process that's neither slow nor fast.

--- End quote ---

... Patches allow for the same size piece of cloth going down the barrel each time.  ...

--- End quote ---

So does cutting patch strips from the same BOLT of cloth - this insures that ALL patches cut at the muzzle or ball board are not only from the same cloth lot thickness, but also of a very proper diameter.  This is why some of us by patch material from cloth shops, right off the bolt.  I buy at least 5 yards and that insures my patch load consistency for a few years. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version