Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: You've gotta see this  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
You've gotta see this
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:31 AM »
It makes you wonder how this idiot got this job.. I tried to count his mistakes but I lost count.. :Doh!

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: You've gotta see this
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »
i tried to watch this Ron, I truely did. But when he described driving a nail into the ball and cutting an x on a ball, I couldn't take no more!  :Doh!  And these people vote!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 06:44:47 PM »
That was FRIKKIN' painfully to watch! Love his"gunslinger" bag! What an idiot. It's because of guy's like him we all need to do the "city park"events as much as possable.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline rickevans

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
Good grief.  We need to find out where this fool (and I am using that term correctly) said and did this and offer them a free weekend telling and showing some truth. It hurts to listen.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:02:07 AM »
It'd be amazing what would happen if folks cracked open a book once in a while.

Although the bit about the balls with a X or a nail are true. Found at various campsites.  See Mark Tully's The Packet Volume 1, page 28-29.

Sir William Howe to General George Washington, August 1776

"My aide-de-camp will present to you a ball cut and fixed to the end of a nail, taken from a number of the same kind, found in the encampment quitted by your troops on the 15th inst."

Mario

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
In a totally un-scientific manner,we once tested those types of rounds at the range,and found the rounds with cut nails went EVERYWHERE! At 25yds you were darn lucky to hit a sillouette of a man! And the cut bullets did nothing until cut almost all the way through,then you had 4 tiny pieces of lead hitting nothing,unless you were VERY unlucky!

So MY guess is,they were left as "propaganda" or scare tactic's. After "testing",I'd rather my enemy use them! Again totally un-scientific!

I also wonder if our assessment of him is beacause he's not a Skinner? He's WAY to condescending in his presentation and being a bag maker, THAT BAG HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!! Are ya with me Beaverman!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »
Quote from: "pathfinder"
In a totally un-scientific manner,we once tested those types of rounds at the range,and found the rounds with cut nails went EVERYWHERE! At 25yds you were darn lucky to hit a sillouette of a man! And the cut bullets did nothing until cut almost all the way through,then you had 4 tiny pieces of lead hitting nothing,unless you were VERY unlucky!

So MY guess is,they were left as "propaganda" or scare tactic's. After "testing",I'd rather my enemy use them! Again totally un-scientific!

I have no doubt their accuracy was crap. With the state of battlefield medicine (and I use that term loosely) at the time, I doubt as to the ability to really tell if the wound came from one.

Whether you hit your target or not, they probably made the guy doing the shooting feel better.  8)

I also wonder if our assessment of him is beacause he's not a Skinner? He's WAY to condescending in his presentation and being a bag maker, THAT BAG HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!! Are ya with me Beaverman!

I don't know, but I'm not a buckskinner.

His bag is just some of the shelf, generic shooting pouch marketed by some large ML company. See quite a few of them at events.

Mario

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

Some peoples kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm with ya Ted, lets hang the pouch around or knees like our fore fathers did, not to mention, blowing down the barrel, and just plain being stupid!!!!!!!!! I had to stop watching it when he did that! heres a little better vid by our own Pete Sheeran,

and hers another from Pete

Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline rickevans

• TMA: TMA Supporting Member #232 ....... Expires 7/5/19
  • TMA Member: 232
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »
Ahhhh...I needed that after the watching that other yahoo....thanks Beaverman.
R. C. (Rick) Evans
TMA# 232 Expires 7/5/22
Honorable Company of Horners
Contemporary Longrifle Association
Life Member NRA

Offline Hota

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
I was waiting in anticipation that he was going to cook off his left ear lobe. Disappointing. Then i was waiting for one of the crowd to scream when some powder flare hit them in the face. Nothing! Dang. At least he was demonstrating for the russians. Gotta love all around bad info.
Darren Welch
TMA Charter Member #12
Membership Expires 3/25/2015
Member - Lancaster Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
Thanks Pete,MUCH better!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline huntinguy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:24 PM »
:oops:  :Doh!

speechless.....
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline windwalker_au

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 11:11:49 PM »
Quote from: "Longhunter"
It makes you wonder how this idiot got this job.. I tried to count his mistakes but I lost count.. :bl th up
IF ITS FERIL ITS IN PERIL

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 03:20:41 AM »
He needs to be removed as well as the video......
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »
Quote from: "windwalker_au"
Quote from: "Longhunter"
It makes you wonder how this idiot got this job.. I tried to count his mistakes but I lost count.. :bl th up

As I understand it, in loading with paper cartridges (which he wasn't), the pan is primed first, then the charge is poured down the barrel.  So, technically, he was kind of right, but totally wrong, if that makes any sense, which he didn't either.

I cannot understand wearing the bag so far down his side.  He did have a nice T/C adjustable measure however.  Totally PC, as were his clothes and shoes.

Several years ago, Ox Yoke put out a product that was comprised of several tips that you could put onto your ramrod, which would imprint a deep hollow point, or an "X" or a shallow hollow point.  Whatever.  Not so sure that it is still being made.  I tried a few different ones, but never did find any that made a real difference.  I think they were really intended for conical bullets rather than round ball.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life