Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Very 'brisk' morning at 26*  (Read 527 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Very 'brisk' morning at 26*
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
Certainly a bit of frost on the ol' Punkin this morning.
Back yard was white with frost..I got up this morning, put on the summer shorts I was wearing yesterday, and went to let the dogs out. Man was I ever surprised!

The Black Lab loved it! She was rolling on that frost like it was snow....

This past Summer was, IMO, a bit warmer than past Summers and I am actually tickled pink that Fall has finally arrived here in the Columbia Basin.
The high today is going be in the mid 60's, and that's my kind of weather to get things done.  

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Very 'brisk' morning at 26*
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:41:37 AM »
It hasn't gotten that cool here on the northern plains of Kansas yet, but today's high is only supposed reach 43 degrees. (I like)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:08:10 PM »
Looking forward to a frosty morn but I fear it'll be a while yet. At or very near 90 thru the weekend around San Antonio
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
I'll take the 80's and low humidity for these old bones.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
Quote from: "Hank in WV"
I'll take the 80's and low humidity for these old bones.
That "low humidity" is the part I like best!
I just can't take heat and high humidity any more.

It's 2pm here now, went out about hour and half ago to prune the Apricot tree, because those who know about such things say "prune,  ASAP after 1st. frost"...well, today was ASAP in my mind, when I went outside I had on a hoodie sweat-shirt, after about 20 minutes with that saw and I had to come out of that sweat-shirt....the temperature was already back in the high 60's... :shock:

Guess I'll take a little nap and see if I might want to clean up my mess a little better....got the big limbs down but still got all them little branches to do with hand clippers.
The little ol' tree doesn't look like much with all its limbs gone, but it sure is a good producer.

[attachment=0:3r6e9j8n][/attachment]DSCN0579.JPG[/attachment:3r6e9j8n]

Uncle Russ...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 06:43:16 PM »
Had a skiff of snow on the grass and 30 degrees this morning at 6:00 AM, here in Northwest Nebraska. I think we finally got to around 47 degrees as a high. Was glad we didn't have any wind here today. I must be a fair-weather person these days, I've hung out inside on the computer most the day.... Suppose to be 80 degrees tomorrow when I go back to work.  :Doh!
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
Praise the Lord!!
We finally got a skiff of rain here on the central coast.  First measurable rain since April.
Sure do hope I get my 4 additional rain barrels before the rain finishes for the year.
Talked to the people who I am going to get them from last Wednesday, and they say about the first of November.  Between now and then, I guess I can build a stand to place them on and round up the hardware for the project.  That will give me another 220 gallons of storage.  Not really a big deal, but it will be good to irrigate with later in the year.

Here is on the west side of the house with a three barrel system in place.  I will be adding one more to this side when I get the other barrels.

Mr. Rube Goldberg would be proud of me.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
John, wish I could run a hose down there for ya, we've got a lot of water to spare, and the wind to go with it.
Power outages everywhere on the West side, trees down, major highways closed. It's a mess over in the Seattle, Olympia, and Centralia areas.

Wind has taken the covers off both of my boats, and it's still raining sideways.
I ventured out earlier to make sure I had the plus out of both of 'em, don't want them  filling up with rain...but I'm good to go.

We haven't lost power yet, a few "flickers" but that's it.
Mama Bear has enough candles out to heat the house if need be...lol

Snoqualmie Pass is open but down to one lane going West, White Pass was closed earlier today due to slides...good news is, this should all be over with sometime around noon tomorrow.
Hope everyone on the road is safe, it's not a good time to be out traveling right now.

I can't forgot to mention the folks on the East Coast!  WOW!
NC is still 10' over flood stage in many places, and thousands if not hundreds of thousands will be rebuilding for years.
Our hearts and prayers are with all those affected by these recent storms. I can't complain, so far, nothing serious has happened to me or my family.

Uncle Russ...

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »
Russ,  Whatever happened to that cockamamie notion someone had about running a pipe from the Columbia River down to Los Angeles to transport water there?
At first, I thought it was totally inane, but after giving it a bit of thought, it could be a pretty good idea, if'n the pipe was big enough to really make a difference.
Glad to hear that you are all buttoned down and have a bunch of candles layed aside.  And that the plugs are out of your boats.
And yes, I feel for the folks on the east side of the country.  They have taken some pretty hard punches recently.
Keep dry, my friend.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 01:33:08 PM »
I went grouse hunting Sat morning here in Ohio, it was 36 down in the lowlands, and 45 up on top. No birds, but still a great time in the woods. Afternoon high of 76!
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Spotted Bull

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 04:42:37 PM »
As I sit here in my office and look over at my cell phone is says that it is a balmy 89° with 51% humidity...