Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Do you have a FOREVER rifle?  (Read 1326 times)

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Do you have a FOREVER rifle?
« on: June 02, 2023, 07:34:16 PM »
What is your Forever rifle?

I have a forever Caplock rifle. Brand or maker is unmarked and doesn't follow any particular style. She's .40 cal, 7 lbs, 2 oz and is 60 inches long. She fits me perfectly.

Now I need a forever Flintlock! I'm looking at Kibler SMR kit in .40 cal.  All I have heard is positive comments about Kibler kits. For the price and quality, is there anything better out there?
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Do you have a FOREVER rifle?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
Yes Sir, the Prom Queen, shes featured in a post here under flintlocks

http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=23440.0
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 03:21:42 PM »
That IS one beautiful Lady.   :bow
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 11:13:18 PM »
In 1981, my sweetie, Ms. Smoke, got me a Jack Garner SMR flintlock .45 cal rifle.  42 years later, it is still my pride and joy.  She paid extra for an excellent grade of wood, and I think we got way more than she paid for.  It is outstanding.  In the intervening years, I have had a lot of other very nice rifles, but none of them could compare.  Although it is a flinter, it is a keeper.
John (Bigsmoke)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 10:53:10 PM »
The one I always fall back on, my Hodgepodge rifle.  Started out as a kit I got from Deer Creek when the old folks still had it, and I think it was cobbled together from old parts they had on hand.  The stock was already stained with an ugly black which would not come off entirely, although it brings out the grain of the beech wood.  The barrel got messed up when I sent it in to a barrel maker to slim it down from 15/16" to 7/8" across the flats.  I learned a lot about the way CVA rifles made the touch holes, when she started leaking around it with every shot.  Captchee replaced it with one from Colerain, and installed a regular breech plug rather than a CVA (antechamber) one.  I slimmed it down quite a lot and over the years fiddled with rounding off the nose cap and installing a patch box.  All in all she is rather ugly, not her fault but more my inletting skills, (or lack of same) but she shoots well, even with a CVA flint lock.  I may get rid of others, but this one is a keeper for me.

~Kees~

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »
Nothing wrong with an old CVA mountain rifle, especially the early ones with the sharon barrels, I have 2 of them ( cap locks) and they are both tack drivers, luckily I have found NOS main springs for the locks when these get weak, Ive worked polished and tuned the locks and triggers on them and they sing opera just fine!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 11:40:52 AM »

I have a forever Caplock rifle. Brand or maker is unmarked and doesn't follow any particular style. She's .40 cal, 7 lbs, 2 oz and is 60 inches long. She fits me perfectly.

Now I need a forever Flintlock! I'm looking at Kibler SMR kit in .40 cal.  All I have heard is positive comments about Kibler kits. For the price and quality, is there anything better out there?

I don't think your going to find a better kit, just be patient as I've heard that they have a good size waiting list but that being said I've seen one of his woodsrunner kits and it's basically drop in, finish sand and stain, treat the metal and your off and running! (all pun intended)

Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »

Mine would have to be, ol' Candle Snuffer (that I built on a Dickert Stock / .45 x 7/8 x 36 w/ .010 depth rifling and 1 in 60 Twist - Green Mnt, Brl. / with Conversion L&R Lock(s) which allows me to shoot it in Flint or Cap ignition - (though it's been in the Percussion ignition for the last 5 years at least. It has never failed to place in the top 3 at any "local shoots, Rendezvous, or State ML Competitions). It's produced lot's of Medals, prizes, and Certificates (as well as "Dollars") for me over the years. But she's a getting old (or at least I am).

The reason it's called "Candle Snuffer" is because I've never lost a "snuffing the candle Match" at Rendezvous with it. Also, (so I'm told), it's the only rifle to have hit the 300 yard gong at the woods walk during Chadron Fur Trade Days many years back, and also to have shot a perfect score in the Paper Bottle Match...).

For a rifle with fixed sights, she's never let me down (shooting competitions or hunting). And she ain't nothing fancy to look at - at all. But she's a beauty to me!  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 12:14:19 PM »
Well, I did it. I ordered the Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle in .40 cal. The website says 1 to 3 week wait even if it proves to be longer, it will still be at my home in OK before I am. I can't work on it up here, no workshop and minimal tools here. Rest assured I'll be memorizing RobD's SMR build thread. I really hope this I'll be my forever Flintlock.

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 01:21:15 PM »
I'm actually a big fan of the .40 caliber (so much so that I built a duplicate of ol' Candle Snuffer [the rifle I described above] and put a .40 caliber Ed Rayl Brl on it with a 1 in 72 twist & .010 depth round bottom rifling - and that .40 cal will hold its own and handle any charge of 1fg, 2fg, and naturally 3fg, without swabbing between shots in any 5 shot Match out to 50 yards... If it has any draw back, it would be toppling a 1/2 inch NRA Animal Silhouette (it just won't do it even if you hit it high, and even the 3/8 inch thick is very questionable / just forget about toppling the Turkey, Pig, or Ram), but shooting at paper or swinging gongs - it don't get any better!)  :bl th up

Oh, and I forgot to mention; it can also be converted from percussion to flintlock with the Large Siler Lock's.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 03:05:07 PM »
Well, I did it. I ordered the Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle in .40 cal. The website says 1 to 3 week wait even if it proves to be longer, it will still be at my home in OK before I am. I can't work on it up here, no workshop and minimal tools here. Rest assured I'll be memorizing RobD's SMR build thread. I really hope this I'll be my forever Flintlock.

:hairy  new rifle gun for your new bag! :yessir:
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 06:10:12 PM »
Not a rifle but my Jackie Brown trade gun.  62 cal,36 inch barrel, iron furniture and queen Anne lock.
Not fancy but easy to carry and reliable. Hands down my favorite.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long

Online Butler Ford 40

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 04:04:12 PM »
A Tip Curtis Southern Mountain Rifle in 40 Cal.  My first flintlock.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey for tomorrow I may have to eat them.  Amen

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2023, 03:36:11 PM »

:yessir:

IDK about better, but my forever rifle is a .45 T/C Seneca caplock - which has done whatever I asked of it for several decades.  :toast

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...