Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Oh. My. God.  (Read 1074 times)

Offline LongWalker

• TMA Contributing Member
Oh. My. God.
« on: February 02, 2023, 05:21:33 PM »
Went out to start getting ready for the Grand Island Gun Show this weekend.  Since I'm still doing the whole "move" thing (get down to the old place, grab mail, gather a carload of "stuff"), I had to start by unloading the car. 

In the trunk I found a bunch of papers from the various "educational" events I've done in the past 18 or so years.  I have 34 pages of signatures of people who fired 5 rounds from my pet flintlock as their "first flintlock".  At roughly 30 names per page, that is ~1,000 people who've shot that rifle.  Including the kid who broke the stock last year <sigh>. 

No wonder my rifle is looking so tired! 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Oh. My. God.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 05:49:29 PM »
Went out to start getting ready for the Grand Island Gun Show this weekend.  Since I'm still doing the whole "move" thing (get down to the old place, grab mail, gather a carload of "stuff"), I had to start by unloading the car. 

In the trunk I found a bunch of papers from the various "educational" events I've done in the past 18 or so years.  I have 34 pages of signatures of people who fired 5 rounds from my pet flintlock as their "first flintlock".  At roughly 30 names per page, that is ~1,000 people who've shot that rifle.  Including the kid who broke the stock last year <sigh>. 

No wonder my rifle is looking so tired!

Break out the hoof glue and rawhide.  :bl th up

How has the bore held up after 5000+ shots, and who made the barrel?
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 09:55:41 PM »
The barrel is a Douglas Premium in .54.  It has had considerably more than just the teaching rounds through it. . . maybe 2,500 additional rounds of that load, and another ~4-5k of my hunting load.  Lemme see. . . at least 125# of powder shot through it.  There is some erosion near the breech, but not as much as if I'd shot 3F through it.  I should be OK if I freshen the rifling, but I'll definitely need a new mould. 

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 06:51:48 AM »
Sounds like ya got pretty reliable gun that's been doing what it's s'posed to be doing!  :bl th up

Show us a pic or two of the busted stock.   :*:

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 09:56:17 AM »
Make it a whole picture of this legendary rifle! I for one would love to see it!

:yessir:
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 03:06:35 PM »
Make it a whole picture of this legendary rifle! I for one would love to see it!

Me too!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline LongWalker

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 06:08:40 PM »
I've got the barrel in a new stock, need to get around to finishing it (which means I need to find the rest of the parts to do so).  Lock is parted out.  I think the stock is on my bench at the old place.  I think I saw the new lock in with my stash of smokeless powder: that's the lock that may get diverted to convert my GRRW Leman to a civilized form of ignition.  OH!  The triggers are on my desk at the old place, I'm trying to decide if I want to stick with the double-set I've been using, a better set of double-set, or a single trigger. 

Someday. . . .