Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: the importance of immediate breech and ante-chamber ...  (Read 1006 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
the importance of immediate breech and ante-chamber ...
« on: May 03, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
... cleaning and lubing, and why it pays to anti-seize grease anything that threads into a muzzleloader barrel.  even with the proper tools it took some effort to pop this GPR patent breech plug.

the fix ...

nikal anti-seize grease for the plug and liner ...

back in action for its owner ...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Lonewolfe20

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member # 757 Expires 7/25/2020, Member & State Representative.
Re: the importance of immediate breech and ante-chamber ...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 10:02:57 PM »
Great pics
I can never seem to keep the anti seize where it needs to stay!!
I end up with it up to my elbows!
NRA Member
State Representative for South Dakota, contact me for more SD info
TMA #757

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: the importance of immediate breech and ante-chamber ...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 08:21:12 AM »
i use NIKAL uber hi-temp anti-seize grease.  comes with a brush applicator. 

permatex (auto store) anti-seize grease works just fine, too, applied with a finger.  just slobber it on and any excess will get pushed out.

the important thing about any muzzleloader is the immediate care given to bp residue after the last shot of the day is taken.
  if there's a wait before the residue in the barrel/chamber for cleaning, that gives the goop a chance to take hold of the steel and do nasty things, as seen in the first two images of this thread.  a sloppy oily wet patch down the tube, does the trick.  better yet, leave the wet patched rod in the barrel.  it also pays to carry a small spray bottle of moose milk (1:6 or so ratio of water soluble oil to plain water) and liberally spritz the entire lock.  while some folks use NAPA water soluble oil, i prefer ballistol - it's good for the wood, too, so being sloppy with moose milk or straight ballistol is never a concern.

with immediate care given to last fired muzzleloaders, the real cleanup when back at the ranch goes amazingly fast ... and with just plain tepid tap water - there will be no need for chemicals or concoctions.  the rust and corrosion on this thread's barrel and plug required overnight soaking in pb-blaster to loosen it all up and then i used a bronze brush with ballistol for the final cleaning.