Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Buck and Ball  (Read 757 times)

Offline sawbones

• TMA Forum Member
Buck and Ball
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:33:34 AM »
Howdy all.  What do you guys like to use as far as buck and ball loads, for what type of game and why?  Thanks,  Chuck
never flinch
Sawbones #300  expires 1/4/10

Offline tg

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 01:23:05 AM »
I have played around with B&B in my .62 smoothrifle we ahve to use a min. .30 buckshot here for deer with a .600 ball with six  shot ontop it will give a good deer killing pattern to 15yds or so with the ball in the center and the shot spread around it all in a paper plate sized area, tie the shot in a pieceof patching and you get a ball hole and a godawful big oblong hole beside it out to 20 yds, not a real practical hunting load, I worked it up for sitting very ( under ten yds) close to trails comming out of dense blackberry thickets near dark in hopes of causeing enough shock and damage to keep the deer from wheeling around and going back in the thick stuff I have not had the shance to test it on a deer yet but I do think it would have some stopping power, it is definately a very close range load for game or a wounded animal could easily be the end result. I have heard others get better patterns with shot that will "stack" by choosing the right size for the bore.

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
I use a .600-.670" ball (depending on the gun), with 3 or 4 00 buck behind it.

Strictly a load for woodswalks, scenario shoots, etc. as buckshot is not permitted for big game hunting in NY (and many other states).

Mario