Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lyman Great Plains  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Hylander

• TMA Forum Member
Lyman Great Plains
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »
Hi, new here.
I have decide to get a Lyman GPR in 50Cal. Percussion.
Most vendors are out of stock, anyone have a line on one in stock for a decent price.

Offline VinceM

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #783 Membership expires 3-1-2019
Re: Lyman Great Plains
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »
Gunbroker.com has some.

Offline Hylander

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:04:54 PM »

Offline VinceM

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
It's an auction site, there are new, used, kits etc. try a search. Midsouth has great prices and customer service from what I hear.

Offline Hylander

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:44 PM »
Yep, been checking GB for a few weeks, so far just used.
Been a customer of Midsouth for years but never ordered anything big or expensive.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »
It's an auction site, there are new, used, kits etc. try a search. Midsouth has great prices and customer service from what I hear.

I've only had a few dealings with Midsouth, and I've got no complaints. That $460.00 kit is not a bad price, and it's an enjoyable project IMHO.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline VinceM

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »

I've only had a few dealings with Midsouth, and I've got no complaints. That $460.00 kit is not a bad price, and it's an enjoyable project IMHO.  :bl th up

I agree, the kits are great, I have am waiting on another backordered 54 flinter now. :bl th up

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
The Lyman GPR is an excellent choice, and Midway is a topnotch vendor.
Update:
I thought you had said Midway; while they are great, Midsouth is also a fine vendor and their prices seem a little lower than Midway, on this item.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:31:21 AM by amm1851 »
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 06:44:06 AM »
to put things in perspective ...

lyman trad ml's are rebranded with their name, the actual gun is made by investarms, italy.  imho, they are the best of ALL the offshore guns out there today.

lyman trad ml "kits" are actually "screwdriver kits" 'cause that's all it takes to put them together.  might take all of, oh, maybe ten minutes and the gun is ready to load and fire.  seriously.

while that lyman gun is screwed together and ready to shoot, it could still use some work, and this is where the serious elbow grease can kick in, or not kick in - all depends on the level of finish one requires.  i'll say it again - once screwed together, it IS a gun that's ready to load and shoot, and kill critters as well as any store-bought, fully-finished, ready-to-shoot gun.

at the very least, one could take some coarse sandpaper, say 80 to 100 grit, and go over the wood (mostly the butt stock) to smooth it all out.  then some 220 or so grit to clean up any of the rough sandpaper scratches.  this could take about 10 to 15 minutes.  now go get a 3oz bottle of tru-oil and apply a coat.  when it cures overnight, buff out the finished wood with some 0000 steel wool, or just a paper towel.  now give it another coat and let cure.  done.  go load and shoot.  the gun will last a lifetime if ya clean it well. 

to take finishing to a much higher (but unnecessary) level, and take lots of time (like up to a few days), rasp all the proud wood down even with the furniture.  this also means contouring the stock's wrist area where there's a "bulb" of extra wood - smooth it all down and get the wood to flow nicely.  this doesn't take a master cabinet maker's skills, just let the rasp do the work, eyeball it, and when it looks good to you then it is good.  yeah, this will scratch and mar the metal, no big deal.  now go over all the wood with 100 grit, 220 grit and 400 grit sandpaper - yes, the furniture will get some sanding, too, in the process.  now buff out the metal scratches with 0000 steel wool.  the lyman/investarms stock wood is walnut and to stain it or not is purely for aesthetic reasons.  i've stained some of these guns dark, some light, but most are just fine without staining and just applying some type of protective finish.  there are a number of oil finishes i like using, but the easiest, fastest, surest gun stock finish is still good ol' tru-oil, wiped on with a piece of 100% cotton t-shirt material. 

there ya go!  look what ya done!  ya put together yer own rifle! you did it, it's yours and ready to serve ya well!  congrats!   :applaud   

now learn how best to feed and care for it!  :bl th up :bl th up

:*:   :wave

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
What Rob said! :bl th up  Btw, I bought a .50cal. percussion GPR barely used, but customized, from Track of the Wolf several years ago and am extremely pleased with its reliability and accuracy. i.e., once I found the ball diameter & patch thickness it likes.  In my gun at least, the latter two factors were much more important than the powder charge and/or granulation.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
... I bought a .50cal. percussion GPR barely used, but customized, from Track of the Wolf several years ago and am extremely pleased with its reliability and accuracy. i.e., once I found the ball diameter & patch thickness it likes.  In my gun at least, the latter two factors were much more important than the powder charge and/or granulation.

what maven said!   :bl th up :bl th up

Offline Hylander

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:39 PM »
Well I was about to order from Midsouth, had one in my cart.
Now it says "out of stock"
Putting in a request to see if my store buyer can get one.
Also I think Lyman just got a batch in, just waiting for them to through quality control.
Will call them again tomorrow.
Already started bought some powder and #11 Mag caps.
Will go to Wally World and get some Pillow Ticking.
Already have some Lube made up.
Nothing putting the cart before the horse  :laughing

Offline Paulk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »
Looks like TOTW has GPR's in .50 and .54 cal. in stock.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
A guy on GunsAmerica has some:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?Keyword=&ltid-all=1&cid=801&lid=146370&ns=0&numberperpage=50&

Not a bad price.  Scroll down to find the GPR kit.  All new in botx.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Semisane

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
Bad things happen for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you did something stupid.