Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Grand Army of the Republic rifle  (Read 1122 times)

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
Grand Army of the Republic rifle
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »
OK, here's one for you experts.  From what I've been able to gather from gunboards in both Britain and the U.S., I have got my hands on a GAR parade rifle.  It started life as a commercial English Enfield sporting rifle, was purchased during the arms buying spree by the Federal government, and would have ended up in the hands of some union soldier.  There are no British military acceptance marks, just the crown and Birmingham proofs.  According to a gentleman in the U.K., after the war they were tinned, bored smooth, and given to the men who had actually used them during the great unpleasantness to be used for parades and re-enactments.   I do know that both the confederacy and union bought large quantities of English rifles, the Whitworth for instance which was highly prized as sniper rifle by both sides.  I love research, but it can be frustrating as all get out.  He was pretty emphatic about the fact that it was an honest service arm originally, and would very likely have ended up in the hands of an ex soldier who actually used one.  If any of you gentleman can add, rebut, comment, or verify on what I've written, please feel free.  This is uncharted ground for me and antique U.S. firearms are a fascinating and extensive area with which I only have a passing familiarity.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Grand Army of the Republic rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
I would check with this guy;

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=rob%20enfield

If he doesn't know, he probably knows someone who does know info on this rifle of yours.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska