Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: LEAVING POWDER & BALL IN YOUR GUN  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Dragoon

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 359
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Ah, good point on the hammer. I would probably put a rubber washer on the nipple. Felt wad... good point. I will get some of those. Note also that the crisco will melt and run if it gets too warm! So, the hall closet is probably a good place.

As always, good points.
Always Ready, Second to None!

Offline jbullard1

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
I had mine loaded with a .451   200 gr bullet that I had put a hollowpoint in. Had the proper situation presented itself I was going to take a deer. Had to be in close bow range 15 yds max. and broadside for a double lung shot.
Mississippi TMA State Representative
Member #318  Valid until Jan 15, 2011
Hatchie Run Longrifles Member

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »
Dragoon, if you use a Ox-Yoke type felt wad, there'd be no need for Crisco. Much neater in my mind.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lady of the Woods

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »
a couple years ago my ex-husband bought a flinter at a pawn shop. he took it home and touched off the flint to see how she sparked...and promptly shot the ramrod through the dining room floor. Glad he didn't drop the hammer at the pawn shop. Also darn glad KR and I weren't home for that little event!
Zan
Lady of the Woods
member #358. Exp. 7/1/09.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07:43 PM »
LOW - I have heard of that many more times than I wish I had.

Rule number one - always point the muzzle in a safe diretion.  That way iffen anything stupid does happen, at least no one gets hurt.

Rule number 2, keep your fioger off the trigger.  That should also mean off the lock of a ML as well.

Rule number three - check to see that the gun is unloaded.  One can always use a rod to check the barrel and see if the rod goes all the way to the breech.

I just unloaded my old Scoumaters rifle.  It had held a powder, patch and ball for nearly two years.  He actually thought he had doubled cherged it.  Then forgat about it and was scared to try anything.

I lubed it with Brake Free and pulled the ball.  The patch at powder came with a little coaxing.  Only one load!

The barell came clean with a good scrubbing and seems to have no ill affects.  The lands and grooves looked clean in my bore light.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders