Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Home made patch lube recipes  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
Home made patch lube recipes
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
I found out that Lehigh Valley is no longer in business and I really liked the product they made, So, my question is; Does any one have a homemade recipe that will get close to Lehigh Valley that I can make at home? I would like it to not freeze, have a rust preventative and clean as you shoot, much like LV did.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
Griz,
Looked up the company that makes (or made?) the stuff on Manta, and here is contact info on it.  Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading still lists it on his website as well.  I checked out RMC Sports/Ox Yoke who had supposedly inherited it with their buy-out deal of Ox Yoke, but it was no longer listed.  I think it was last year or maybe the year before, Thom deCarr re-established the product after it had been produced under the OxYoke banner for some time.  I was never all that impressed with the product to be concerned one way or the other.  Hope this helps.

Lestom Laboratories Inc
232 W 5th St, Oswego, NY 13126-3629, United States  (Map)

Phone: (315) 343-1111

SIC:Industrial Organic Chemicals, NEC

Line of Business:Mfg Industrial Organic Chemicals
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
Thanks for all the info, I had been in touch with RMC and a few others that used to carry LV but it seems to have all disappeared. I have a call in with thunder ridge, but haven't heard back from them yet. I really liked LV it seems to give good results here with our weather (won't freeze). I was told that they went out of business, the newest owner. RMC is supposedly thinking about trying to make it since they bought out the ox-yoke brand and that is who used to make it (the second owner) Since it seems to appear and then disappear again, I thought it would be easier to come up with a mixture and make it for myself. I feel sure that there is Murphy's oil soap in it, but I can not figure out what else.
OK guys, come on with some guesses and mixes of your own.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
Griz,
Have no idea what is in it, but it sure does smell like Pine-Sol to me.
Anyway, I think I would follow up with the address and phone # to Lestom Industries.  That is the original guy that had it in the first place, then sold out to Ox Yoke for whatever reason.  As I recall, he was not totally satisfied with that transaction, for whatever reason.  It was one of them long stories that never seem to wind up short.  Seems like it was hashed and re-hashed on on of the other forums a while back.  The bottom line from that was that the fellow said he was back and ready to do business.  After that?  I didn't follow up.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline melsdad

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 01:02:10 PM »
This is what I have been using and found that it works very well so far. I tried a few commercial lubes but I like to make things myself.

Tim I will let you try some patches at the next shoot if you want to.

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.
Brian Jordan
TMA member #333

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:13:27 PM »
There ya' go, thats what I'm lookin for. B. Do you know if it freezes?

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »
Well Griz, ifin you're looking for what we make, here's what I use. I've heard it called Catwiz, or something like that!!!!

Equal parts Wood Soap, Olive oil, and 91% rubbing alcohol.

In the liquid state, it won't freeze because of the alcohol, and it just gets stiff once it evaporates if you're pre-lubing your patches with it.

YMMV
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »
What would be really interesting would be to compile a list of all the home brew formulas for patch lube.There must be almost as many of them as muzzle loader shooters.One thing I have noticed about the mixtures I have seen is they seem to all contain mostly alcohol or water.Since the alcohol usually used is rubbing alcohol that's mostly water too.A lot of folks use spit why not plain water? I don't care for the taste of pillow ticking even after its washed,particularly after packing it around for a while.

Offline butterchurn

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 11:20:48 PM »
"Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz."

CASTOR OIL!!!!  Ugh! I had to drink a pint of the stuff for a medical test when I was in college years ago.  To this day my throat begins to tighten up when I even think of the stuff!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:07:14 PM by butterchurn »
Butterchurn
Member # 249
Exp. 07/12/10

Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship.
General Omar N. Bradley

Offline windwalker_au

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 06:03:56 AM »
Quote from: "griz"
There ya' go, thats what I'm lookin for. B. Do you know if it freezes?

just get your self some trappers pure mink oil from track of the wolf it dont freez and it is a very good patch lube.
Bernie :)
IF ITS FERIL ITS IN PERIL

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 06:07:58 AM »
OK, I have a question about Butterchurns mix, Is that isoprphyl alcohol, like in dry gas, or rubbing alcohol?

Also, I heard from Dixon's gun shop, that a fellow in Kentucky bought out Lehigh Valley and is makin' the same product but under a different name. It is now called Shenandoah Valley Patch lube. Dixon's stock it and I ordered some. After I get it I will post some results. I still like to hear your mixes, because I do not like being dependent on bought needs. I'd rather be makin them myself.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
Griz, yes these mixes should use 91% isoprphyl alcohol. No water. Lots of evaporative quality.
R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gambia

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »
R.M., so I should get the isoprophyl alcohol at the auto parts store? or at the drug store?

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
You should be able to find it at a drug store. I'm not sure what the % is for the automotive stuff is. Might be the same, and cheaper. Make sure you get the high-test, 90 some odd %.
R.M.

Offline hawkeye

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »
Isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol. Not denatured alcohol. I've been real happy with using straight olive oil.
David M. Ely
Charter Member #141 Exp 1/11
=======================
"Third ball, haul..." Etherington's Coy 60th RAR