Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: What knives were really carried?  (Read 4443 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
What knives were really carried?
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:32:57 PM »
I remember reading a book about Dan'l Boone, back when I was in about 4th grade, and it described cutting the patch at the muzzle and carrying a special patch knife for this.  Over the years since then I have read of the various woodsmen (longhunters, plainsmen, mountain men, etc.) carrying hunting knives, butcher knives, fighting knives, patch knives, scalping knives, barlow (pocket) knives and I don't know what else.  It seems to me that, wandering the wilderness, a person would have the minimum of gear.  So if one knife will work for all the cutting chores, that is what one would carry, probably a medium sized butcher knife with which to dress out game, cut patches, stab the infidels etc.

So is there any provenance on what was carried and where?  Not in a wagon, but on a person so it was right at hand.  I would imagine that some of the reenactors have knowledge to pass on to this pilgrim!

Thanks,
~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: What knives were really carried?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:27:36 AM »
One knife may be enough; provided, of course, you don't lose that knife. Or break it. Or have it stolen. Or wear it out. Just my two bits.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:59:02 AM »
Most patch knifes we see today are small and worn around the neck in a small sheath, or sewn into a special pocket on one's shooting bag as a loading extension tool. We also normally see today's reenactor with one knife on their waist as well.

I do agree with amm1851 that one knife (depending on just what you were doing for a living) would be enough.

With this said, IMHO, the knife you choose to carry on your person would have to be the one that can be used for dressing out game and cutting up meat as well as affording yourself with a fighting tool as a last ditch effort if an enemy was on you. It had to be an all around knife for everyday use.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »
If I were going into the wilderness for an extended period,  I would definitely take more than one knife with me. Inexpensive butcher style knives were brought to the Rocky Mountain rendezvous by the thousands. Many were used as trade goods, but the trapper's themselves purchased many for personal use.
As I said, a lot of things can happen to a knife, and if you lose your only blade for whatever reason, you could be in serious trouble if you're hundreds or thousands of miles from a source of resupply.
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
I agree with amm1851.  :Doh!  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »
You said it much better than I did, Joe.   :)
Molon labe

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
Carrying this out just a little bit further, I would not envision a trapper with more than one, possibly two knives carried on his person at one time.  They would probably be a larger butcher knife carried on the belt, and a smaller fixed blade or even a folding knife carried on or in his shooting pouch or possible bag.
And I do agree that he would have backup knives in case of breakage or loss, probably carried in his supplies on a horse.
But that is mere supposition on my part, I claim no great knowledge on the subject.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
I think John is right. For myself,  I  carry a butcher knife on my belt and a folding knife inside my shooting pouch. I have a spare knife at the bottom of my haversack, plus maybe another knife or hatchet tucked somewhere.
We have pretty solid information about what sort of knives were brought to the Rockies in the rendezvous period based on the lists of goods that are available online in several places,  including the AMM website.  The vast majority were inexpensive butcher knives, imported by the tens of thousands from England,  many marked GR, short for the Latin Georgius Rex,  for King George,  but which the mountain men took to mean Green River.
Nobody likes a pretty knife more than I do, but most of the knives carried by the mountain men were plain knives, meant to be used hard and replaced when worn out.
Molon labe

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
What???????????????? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Do you mean to tell me that every single mountain man in the Rocky Mountains DID NOT carry a 14" blade Bowie Knife? :Doh!  :Doh!  :lol sign  :lol sign

OK, I'm gonna go snivel and cry, maybe go out in the yard and eat some worms.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
:lol sign  :horse
Molon labe

Online Bigsmoke

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »
Do you mean to tell me that this fine little knife would not be appropriate for an AMM gathering?

And that something like this would not have probably been carried?

This day is just getting worse and worse by the minute.

John

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
I think you should send it to me so it won't be a painful reminder for you.  :peace
Molon labe

Offline Longhunter

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shrewbows.com
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #54 Expires 03/26/2019
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
This'n will do it all

Ron LaClair
TMA Charter member #54 Valid until 03-26-2019

RON_LACLAIR.html

TMA, Keeping the traditional spirit alive by example

When the deer are gone I will hunt mice, for I am a hunter

Offline hawkthrower

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 732
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
Knifes are a necessity but a sharp blade is useful even if broken - many knifes were honed until there was nothing but a nub..... Seen several vintage blades that look like they wore out a stone or two, so several spares of differing size and shape might be included in a pack roll. Having been out and about  in the wilderness a bunch over the last long time I have found it prudent to have at least three handy. A small pocket knife, a folder (both of which I carry habitually at work and everywhere), when out hunting or on a long walk I add either a single large blade capable of butchering and scraping a hide or the kit below -  

My folder can be a patch knife but I generally carry pre-cut patches, pocket knife has its uses as well as a larger blade sheath knife. I even have a few "long knifes" for "extended reach" but I generally don't carry my katana, wakizashi, and tanto, or the rapier and main gauche much for adventures in the wild.   ;)
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Good looking knives, Ron and Hawkthrower, and excellent points.
Molon labe