Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

RB Trajectories?

(1/2) > >>

Thunderhawk1828:
I've read that by sighting in at 17 yrds you are also dead on at 75 yds. Are there any charts for BP to show the over / under tajectory at 25, 50 and 100 yds? I have the Lyman BP handbook & manual but it gives velocities. Anyplace give the trajectory information for 50 / 54 cal RB??

Thanks.

Thunderhawk

Bigsmoke:
In the book Sporting Rifles and their Projectiles, Forsythe gives the advice that it is pretty simple to determine that precisely.
Construct a series of target frames and put them in a row in front of your shooting position.  Then shoot through them.  Presto, there is your trajectory pattern for your own rifle with your own load.  No questions asked.  I think Forsythe suggests placing them every 10 yards out as far as you want to know.  You could also determine the trajectory of a series of different charges as well.

Uncle Russ:
Thunderhawk, I could give you a "fair estimate" if I knew the velocity of your roundball. (Actual velocity, not book velocity.)
Don't know if you have access to Sierra Infinitive (a ballistic program) but, if you know the velocity and shape of a projectile, you can tell "pretty darn close " what its trajectory will be.

I have posted a couple of trajectory charts, based on my own chronograph readings, here on the forum... but I am unable to find them this morning.

Let me know the velocity, and I will run a trajectory course for you.....However, most often, the real picture is not what folks want to see when it comes to round ball ballistics.

Uncle Russ...

biliff:
It's a little cumbersome to use at first, but it lets you play around with different scenarios.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/rbballistics/rbballistics.html

vermontfreedom:
DEFINITELY download the ballistics calculators biliff posted.

I use it all the time and it is excellent.

My own empirical data corresponds very well with what that program produces for my .54.

I will also say that 17/75 yard thing is pure ballocks. It might work for one particular load in a particular rifle, but the same load won't necessarily work in the next rifle and a different load certainly won't work inthe same rifle.

If an 80-grain charge under a 0.535 fits that  rule of thumb, certainly a 60 or 95 grain charge won't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version