Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Cabelas Blue Ridge Front Site

(1/3) > >>

LongRifleVA:
I have 2 Cabelas Blue Ridge Rifles.  One percussion and one flint

I have searched, and searched and while it is almost universally agreed that the front site is WAY too tall, no one ever posts a picture of one they have ground down or replaced

I have shot mine for years compensating for the sight and just eyeballing it throught the buckhorns.  Essentially using the buckhorns as  a peep sight

But that is not consistenly accurate.   I might move my head the wrong way, yada yada

Can anyone show me a picture of a modified or replaced front site?  I just need to make sure my  plan to grind it down will work

butterchurn:
Do it a little at a time and test fire.

rollingb:
That's an easy and fun fix,... just set up a target at 50 yrds. with a 1" bullseye,... take a couple of shots from a "rest" then take a couple of "swipes" off the top of the front sight (if she's shooting low),... then try a "couple more shots and file" UNTIL the holes get UP to the bullseye.

Adjusting sights is a fun way to spend an hour, or so, of shooting. :clap

LongRifleVA:
So if I can ask another question or two

What is the point of the Buckhorns?????

Right now I use the buckhorns like a peep site, but I ASSUME that the proper alignment of the sight is to have the top of the post buried down into the notch of the rear site as if the Buckhorns do not exist.   Is that right?

Also, what if the front sight is too thick?  I am afraid it is so thick that it will not fit down into the notch even if I open the notch a bit.   I guess this question is subject to the answer above

rollingb:

--- Quote from: "LongRifleVA" ---So if I can ask another question or two

What is the point of the Buckhorns?????

Right now I use the buckhorns like a peep site, but I ASSUME that the proper alignment of the sight is to have the top of the post buried down into the notch of the rear site as if the Buckhorns do not exist.   Is that right?
--- End quote ---

Yes,... that is correct, the "top" of your front sight should be level with the top "flat" portion of your rear sight for a proper "sight picture". :rt th

Good luck, the more you work with your rifle, the more familar you'll become with it and the more accurately you'll shoot with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version