Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Rescued CVA

(1/2) > >>

jimknife:
I have just rescued a CVA Hawkin,  I know that it is going to need a new barrel.  The hammer doesn't lock into the half or full cock position.  Is there  a diagram of a cva lock.  I have found one for an l&R but need someone to give assistance.  Any help is appreciated.

Hank in WV:
Sounds like you have the nose of the sear broken off. Sorry, I'm not puter savvy enough to come up with any diagrams. Doe it act the same way with the lock out of the stock?

Captchee:
the lock is  pretty close to the same in layout . some where on here we have  the diagrams for both caplock and flintlock  with all the names of the parts ???
 of course that depends on which CVA lock you have . but most all are the same  basic design . The L&R has a bridled tumbler where  only  a few of the heavier CVA's have a bridle .
 could be you have a broken sear spring  or its missing all together . that would be my guess .
 through the years i have seen only a few with a broken sear . but  it can and does happen .
 the sear spring will be just above the sear . it pushes down on the sear so it will snap into the half and full cock knotches .

the other thing that  on some  CVA and traditions locks , the tumbler has a small feathering screw . this goes through the tunbler and adjusts the amount  the sear can drop into the knotches . if its been screwed to far in , it will not alow the sear to  catch on the 1/2 or full cock .

barrels normally aren’t to much of a problem . if you watch the auction sights , you will come up with one .

currently im in the process of tooling up for  making drop in stocks for  some production guns . going to start out with CVA
 these will be walnut , maple or cherry .
  if everything works out , i will also have a stock  that is more correct  for the Kentucky , in its lines  and of 1 piece not two
 im also considering providing the option for better hardware , like butt plates side plates TG , thimbles and such for these stocks

Captchee:
well i cant seem to find the diagrams on here , I know we have them . ill keep looking

nessy357:
IIRC there is a 1mm screw, that adjusts the sear engagement, located above and under  the tumbler. If that is missing , the sear won't engage. Hope that helps.

Cheers Bob.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version