Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Ram Rods....

(1/4) > >>

Uncle Russ:
I just got a new 5/16 Hickory Ramrod for my new (new to me) .45 Longrifle.
Of course the Ramrod is "in the raw and unfinished"....I wanted to somehow finish this one a bit differently, and I'm looking for suggestions.

Over the years I tried a lot of "stuff", and I have ended up  dissappointed on more than one occasion.
I have tried;
- Soaking in kerosene (Coal Oil)...from weeks to months, even several months, and I have never been pleased with that, seems the fittings have always had problems, even when pinned in place.
- Tung oil, and boiled linseed oil....I was never particularly impressed with either of these.
- Walnut, Cherry, and Oak stain, nothing else, just plain stain.
- Spar Varnish...this was a terrible mistake!

Keep in mind that a 42"... 5/16" Rod, is a terribly flimsy little piece of wood to begin with, and any kind of "uneven" stroke in seating a tight ball can snap it like a toothpick.

So...what are you guys doing for these itty bitty rods?
I have read somewhere that there is a new coating that will actually "toughen" the wood, but I can't find where I read that, although I somehow think it was right here on this forum.

What's a mother to do?  

BTW; I have two of those unbreakable, bullet proof, no nonsense, rods for range rods, but neither of them will fit the entry pipe or thimbles for hunting.

Uncle Russ..

Bigsmoke:
A piece of 5/16" brass rod is pretty unbreakable.
Then there is the wood rod with the steel core in it.
Then there is the option of just leaving the rod in place and always use a range rod (my personal choice).

Ohio Joe:
Russ,

I haven't done any for some time (ramrods) simply because I haven't had to.  What I do is this;

I mix 1 part lamp oil, with 1 part Polyurethane.  Stir very well, put ramrod(s) in a metal tube capped at one end, pour tube (pipe) full of above mixture and let set over two weeks, adding the mixture as it absorbs into the wood.  Put your thumb over the open end, or a cap at least once a day and rotate the pipe/tube so the mixture moves around.

After the two weeks have passed, remove ramrod(s), let stand in another tube (both ends open) for a couple days of drying out/semi harding time, then sand and add the RR ends.

My ramrods smell like lamp oil for sometime afterwards but they hold up to the worst treatments I give them.

Good luck!

jbullard1:
If you want them darker you can scorch them with a propane torch
then soak or finish them

mario:
I had a 5/16" rod for my .36 rifle. Soaked in BLO or coal oil, never had a break.

Actually sold the rifle 2 years ago, but still have the spare rod...

Mario

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version