Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Ram Rods....

<< < (2/4) > >>

Voyageur:
I used to use plain kerosene, but also found that I needed a bis more oil and added some linseed and some polyurethane as well. It took about two weeks or more to soak the finished rod, then allowed to "dry" slowly. The finished rods have lasted quite well for many years. With the .36 & .32 rods, I frankly don't trust the wood and have seen the results of a rod split and piercing the palm of a shooter. Frankly I use the rods that came with my Traditions rifles, and have supplemented them with jags and careful use. In addition I got some brass rod that I got in 48" lengths and made "range rods" to sub for the lighter aluminum. Wood is nicer and more correct but the metal is somewhat safer.  

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote ---Then there is the wood rod with the steel core in it.
--- End quote ---

Now that sounds like something I would definately be interested in.
As far as carrying an "extra" rod for hunting, I just can't see me doing that....I don't know how one would manage an extra rod.

Where do you think I can find such a rod with a steel core?

Joe, I have never mixed the two, but I have used each of those independently on different rods.
In fact, I have a piece of PVC pipe, with two screw-on end caps, that I have used in the past just for soaking...and I just now remembered that it is stored inside that large piece of pvc that you shipped me the longbow in.

Jerry, I have seen some pretty nice stuff done with a torch, then stained, and waxed over....it can add a nice effect if done properly.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Uncle Russ...

mario:

--- Quote from: "RussB" ---
Where do you think I can find such a rod with a steel core?

--- End quote ---

http://www.periodramrod.com/

Mario

Hank in WV:
Russ, I've been usng the same 5/16 rod for 5 or 6 years now. If it is split hickory and you don't try to grab too much rod at once, I think there is little chance of breaking them. The only split rod I ever broke was when I caught it on the door jamb while putting the rifle in the truck. Sawn rods are a whole new ballgame and probably ought to be outlawed.

Uncle Russ:
WOW! Thanks, Mario.....the 5/16 looks like $55 + $8 shipping.
A bit spendy fer right now....but ya wanta guess what's going on Grandpa's Christmas list?

In the meantime, I'm putting one of the current rods in a mixture of Coal Oil and Polyurethane, I might even add a touch of Linseed Oil just for grins and giggles....

Hank, what do you call "not grabbing too much rod at once"? When I stand the longrifle on end, I don't reach more than about 18" of rod. Do you think that is about right?

Thanks for all the neat replies!

Uncle Russ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version