The Center of Camp > Camping Gear and Campfire Cooking

Hard tack recipes

<< < (3/4) > >>

Doc Nock:
10 T's

I see Ezekiel bread in the frozen food section and a diabetic buddy claims it's made from Sprouted Wheat, making it a Veggie, not a carb...

I tried making some Bannock here with regular flour and it spiked my blood sugar and triglycerides last physical...or at least I am saying that is the culprit...  :bigsmile:

This is very revealing thread to me ... All these years I though hardtack was a meat product...not a bread stuff.. :0

I read a book entitled "Wheat Belly" that claims our grandparent grew and ate an Einhorn variety of wheat that today is so cross bred (no pun intended)That the older wheat and an even older from the bible days didn't make nice fluffy stuff but it all now spikes one's blood sugar so I try to avoid carbs

10thumbs:
 Yeah, about 50 yrs ago, they started messing with wheat. Yields went from 60 to 100 bushels per acre. Loaves per pound went up too. They crossed it w/barley and spelt to get a short stiff stalk. Used to, it was so tall a kid could get lost in a wheat field. The modern stuff doesn't blow down nearly as bad in a rain storm, so it combines better. Too bad there are over 100 complications concerning gluten. The two types of gluten in the old variety had a balance, but no more. Some folks can quit their insulin when they get off gluten. Others can avoid arthritis. Some people are lucky. All they get is fat. The guy who developed it got a Nobel prize. But there went the amber waves of grain. Now we know why the Good Book says, "Don't sow your field with mixed seed".
  Eincorn is still occasionally available   -for a "price".

Doc Nock:

--- Quote from: 10thumbs on November 19, 2020, 05:40:58 PM --- Yeah, about 50 yrs ago, they started messing with wheat. Yields went from 60 to 100 bushels per acre. Loaves per pound went up too. They crossed it w/barley and spelt to get a short stiff stalk. Used to, it was so tall a kid could get lost in a wheat field. The modern stuff doesn't blow down nearly as bad in a rain storm, so it combines better. Too bad there are over 100 complications concerning gluten. The two types of gluten in the old variety had a balance, but no more. Some folks can quit their insulin when they get off gluten. Others can avoid arthritis. Some people are lucky. All they get is fat. The guy who developed it got a Nobel prize. But there went the amber waves of grain. Now we know why the Good Book says, "Don't sow your field with mixed seed".
  Eincorn is still occasionally available   -for a "price".

--- End quote ---

In that book I referenced the Dr who wrote it suggested there is a lab in Ole MX that can get 3-4 crossbreeding yields per year vs planted stuff up here where its usually one....

He further claims they have continually cross-bred with other grasses to get a shorter, stronger stalk, be 2-4 D resistant and pest resistant and tolerant of super dry weather... but that each plant parent cross carries ALL the DNA of BOTH parent unlike animals where each parent donates only 1/2 their Chromosomes, and the REAL problem with all this cross-breeding is each cross breed (according to the author of "Wheat Belly") creates a new protein which has NEVER been tested on humans, cause it's just wheat...so we're ginny pigs and now they have wheat flour for every type of food stuff that hasn't been around when our grandparents were alive...

I got rid of all my pasta, switched to natural long grain brown rice and watched my weight drop...then move in fall of 2014 to NE tn and lost fresh produce markets year round (prolly what I got was same stuff as grocery stores at farmer's markets in PA, but cheaper and in better shape), so it's been way harder here to maintain that and, and...I see mostly fairly obese people here, but alas, and alack, I stil ended up with prostate cancer so who's to say... I was just trying to avoid Type II diabetes which plauged everone of my Dad's side of the family...

Butler Ford 40:
I made a batch of standard flour, water and salt and it turned out as expected, no complaints but it is just hard flour and salt.  Thought I'd try to "spice" it up a bit, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of yellow cornmeal, salt and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.  I wouldn't want to soak it in my coffee but if I smack it on the desk, it's a non greasy Frito!   :hairy

Loyalist Dave:
Yes that likely tastes better than actual ship's biscuit.

IF you want to make a modern survival biscuit in these trying times, use the above recipe but use Masa flour instead of the cornmeal.  Masa is made from highly ground hominy, and as such the niacin in the corn has been changed and is now consumable by the human body.  That would prevent pellagra , which is a niacin deficiency one gets when eating too much cornmeal and not enough other stuff.  You might also try a potassium salt substitute, to help prevent cramps in hot weather, and package using a vacuum sealer for food.  Should be shelf stable for quite a while.

LD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version