Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 36" or 42" Barrel for a .32 cal Southern Rifle  (Read 766 times)

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
36" or 42" Barrel for a .32 cal Southern Rifle
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »
I'm in the works of purchasing the components for my first rifle build. I'm planning on building a Southern Longrifle in .32 cal. Barrels are offered in 36" and 42" lengths. Now my question, is one more correct (42") than the other (36")? Were these rifles offered with a 36" barrel back in the day?
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »
I'm no librarian,so these are opinions based on observations for @ 30 yrs. I have seen shorter barrels in the 32"-38" range,but more commonly they were @ 40". I personally like the longer barrel if for no other reason,the longer sight radius, and the more balanced look they have. My favorite one I built was 44" 3/4" .32. It was a real shooter and handled very well. Stocked in walnut they seem a little lighter too,never weighed one,just seemed that way.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
I don't know about the correctness of it but I too like the longer barrels. They seem to hold on target much better.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline biliff

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »
FWIW, I recently had a southern mountain rifle built with a .32 X 42"X 3/4" barrel with an Ash stock. Made for a nice, well balanced rifle without a lot of weight.

If you look at some of the originals they are not only long barrelled but had some pretty hefty barrel diameters as well. I wasn't willing to be that HC with a gun I was going to hunt with.  

On the other hand, everybody that has handled my rifle has liked it and I'm happy with it so.......
Member #400, expiration 22Jan14
...and to each Volunteer, who shall equip himself with a good and sufficient Musket, Cutlass or Hatchet, Cartouch Box, Powder Horn, Blanket and Knap Sack, two shillings Proclamation Money per Day.

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
Just my opinion, but shorter barrels look funny to me on Southern Mtn rifles. I'm a long barrel guy.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline MikeC

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
When planning to have my Tennessee built I did alot of research.  If your looking for a nice rifle and for it to be correct, don't go shorter then 42" on the barrel.  Also, most if not all had straight barrels, the ones that had swamped barrels, the swamp was so slight it was barely noticable.

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 08:49:16 PM »
Swamp, I too  am gathering parts and planning a southern mtn rifle. Been doin alot more studyin than gatherin, but it seems the range is 36-45" and there are probably exceptions on both ends.But also take into consideration weather or not you will be getting a swamped barrel or a straight one. Many people say if its straight and 45" it gets front heavy,where if it is swamped and 45" it is a delight to handle.Now thats just what i have read   from other people who have built these guns.Diameter is another thing to take into account. 3/4,13/16,7/8, etc.A few years ago i bought a .32x13/16x43.5" long straight Dixie barrel. From things I have read in old Dixie cat. these specs and cal. it is most likely a Douglas barrel. I will be cutting it back to 42" as it was tapped for a drum for a LEFTY ! So I will cut back and retap for breech plug,and put a flashhole on the correct side :) otherwise the word Dixie would be upside down.
Anyways,just do some studying and you'll probably find that there are more options than you realize for a southern gun.Great luck on yer build.

ridjrunr
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Swamp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:36:23 AM »
Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for info wise. 42" is what I'll be using for my rifle, as I agree with what was said about it looking correct.

Thanks again everyone!
Swamp
TMA Member #219 - Exp 9-1-13

Offline Osprey

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »
Go with the 42" and cut it down if you want it shorter, easy to do on straight barrels.  Just did a Bedford last winter, started as 42", but I lopped 2" off the muzzle with a hacksaw and files and it balanced perfectly.  Was worried about accuracy from some things I'd heard and read, but it was great on that end.  1 1/2" groups at 75 yards.

Offline Caddo

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
Yep 42 is the way to go. I want a long rifle to look like a long rifle. Nothing like a long barreled squirrel rifle .
"Make sure your right then go ahead"

Member #533
Expires 01/28/2013

Offline shademtman

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »
yup i like the longer barrels also, although i personally don't own a .32..my problem though,  is the sights on them arent as sharp as they used to be.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 06:58:42 PM »
Quote from: "Kermit"
Just my opinion, but shorter barrels look funny to me on Southern Mtn rifles. I'm a long barrel guy.

Braggard!  :lol:
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 01:23:46 PM »
When I had my .36 SMR built I went for a .38" X 3/4" straight barrel.  The rifle weighs about 5-1/2 - 6 lbs and is a delight to carry and shoot.  When I had it built I was more interested in handling/shooting qualities rather than HC.  Being skinny, the rifle looks longer than 38" but doesn't tire me out or make me shake when I aim.  I, too, like long barrels but shoulder surgeries mostly ended my ability to handle nose heavy guns.  For a straight barrel I like 36" and for anything longer I like swamped barrels.  38" is the ideal compromise for me.  I do have a 42", .50 straight barrel rifle that's excellent off-hand but if I don't get the shot off within 4-5 seconds I shake all over the place.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.