Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 58 Army  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Boise Brule

• TMA Forum Member
58 Army
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
Hey fellas,
 I've been thinking about getting a Pietta 1858 new army revolver. I don't have any experience whatsoever with these guns. I'm curious to hear any input anyone might have.

Thanks,
Don

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: 58 Army
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
I have one, and it is a great pistol. Accurate and I feel, well built. I have had nothing but fun with mine. Mine likes .454 dia. rb's, ox yoke over powder wad, and 30 grs. fffg. #10 caps btw. My favorite carry of it is a homemade soft holster on a wide belt slung under my left arm. Carry it a lot when I'm scouting and woods hiking. Their are a few more owners here that hopefully will chime in. Any other questions, fire away I will try to answer. Regards GH. Oh, and you can load all 6 cyls as cylinder has safty rest notches for the hammer.   :hairy
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:43:59 AM by greyhunter »
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline bluelake

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.shinmiyangyo.org
  • TMA Member: 424
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:41:20 AM »
I have two of them; one I shoot c&b and the other I have a .45 long colt conversion cylinder on it.  Great pieces to shoot.
Member #424

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »
I like mine.
Steve Sells

Offline Birch Orr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
I'm new here but saw your post & wanted to reply. I have a 58 NA Pietta. Discovered early on the screw-in barrel was slightly turned to the left. This caused some accuracy problems! Had another member of this site make me a new front sight built to compensate for this angle difference. Problem solved! Wondered if anyone here ever ran into this problem?

Offline Hota

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »
I have one that is a .38 special centerfire conversion, not a cap and ball rev. I love it. I reload my 38's 32 grains of trail boss with blue lube semi wad bullets. Smokes up nicely! Accurate too. Fun gun to shoot.
Darren Welch
TMA Charter Member #12
Membership Expires 3/25/2015
Member - Lancaster Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Offline tuscarora

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
my kids got me one for christmas.. i'm flat out addicted to the thing...lol.. i shot a 6 shot 3" group with mine at 30 yds. just resting  my elbows on my deck railing.30 gr of goex.. i think off a bench with sand bags it could do even better.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »
Quote from: "tuscarora"
my kids got me one for christmas.. i'm flat out addicted to the thing...lol.. i shot a 6 shot 3" group with mine at 30 yds. just resting  my elbows on my deck railing.30 gr of goex.. i think off a bench with sand bags it could do even better.
That's pretty good shootin' tuscaora!

I love all the old Cap'n ball pistols but I suspect my all time favorite is the 61 Colt.

There's just something about that plow-handle, balance, and feel. Once you get used to sighting "thru" the top of the hammer they can also be fairly accurate.
I have a Peitta and the sights are set for right about 50yds...to hit the 25yd target I set the bottom of the paper on top of the front sight and if I do my part I can put 5 in the black of a standard NRA Pistol Target, off hand.
For 50 yds I make a "figure 8" with black setting on top of front sight and, from the bench, on that same type target, I can fairly well expect all six in the black...again, if I do my part. Off-hand I can usually make paper, but no bets on where I will hit it.
I also use 30gr Goex FFFg, but no wad.

That was my Jack Rabbit gun when I lived in New Mexico, once in a great while I got lucky my shots, but that was likely the most fun I have ever had....Shooting Jack Rabbits outside Taos New Mexico in 110 degree weather, Man! what fun that was.
Contrary to popular belief,  Jack Rabbits make great Chilie, and some fine tasting burritos. But you gotta use a Pressure Cooker...other wise it would be like trying to eat your shoes.

Wonderful memories, indeed!

Uncle Russ
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
To Birch Orr and tuscarora, thanks for the input, and a most hearty welcome to ya...!
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »
I once owned a '58 and loved it.  Alas, it's been gone many years, now.  I'm still trying to figure how I can afford a '58 5.5" barrel model.  I need a bp packing gun and it fits the bill.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline tuscarora

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
yep..a 5.5 barrel 58 is my ....I'm thinking i oughta have one dilema right now... the one i have is the 8" barrel...a guy really oughta have one of each.....well and the 1861 colt mentioned above ...and a walker...and a .....like i said this stuff gets addicting.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
The one problem I have had with the 58 Remington repros is the size of the grips.  If you have a big hand, you will probably not like it.
The one I had lo these many, many moons ago was less than desirable to shoot.  I wound up with the pinky finger curled under the grip and the ring finger wanting to go under the grip as well half the time.
Else, I really like the gun.  Springing for target sights on it might make it a lot better shooter.  On mine, I had to have the front sight built up some to compensate for it shooting really high.  Accuracy wise, with the solid frame and positive rear sight, it should be better than the various Colt models.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Chairslayer

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Member # 239
  • TMA Member: Membership expires 3/27/ 2019
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
I have the same problem. My pinky is actually under the grip. Big hands too. I have the 1860 colt and it fits my paw perfectly.
Dan Egener
TMA #239 Expires 3-14-2017
Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.

Offline Birch Orr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
sse,

Thank you for the warm welcome sir.

Birch

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
Okay, here's one for you guys with big mitts....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!