Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A flintlock frame of mind  (Read 729 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
A flintlock frame of mind
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:44:44 AM »
To those of you who have years of experience shooting flintlocks, bear with me.  I'm hoping there are relative newbies on this forum who might benefit from some advice.  Please feel free to chime in with other ideas and thoughts.  I got my first muzzleloader on my 8th birthday in July of 1959 and shot my first deer with it that November.  That first rifle was a flintlock and, while I have owned caplocks in the years since, I've always preferred the "rocklock" as they call it nowadays.  Along the way I've seen many shooters try a flinter and retreat back to caplocks (or worse) when the rocklock seemed to be unreliable.  My experience has been just the opposite.  I didn't keep detailed records but I'll swear that I've had more mis-fires from cappers than flinters.  So why was my experience different?  I think it has to do with the frame of mind of the shooter.

A flinter is all about one shot.  Modern cartridge guns can reasonably be expected to fire every time the trigger is pulled with little to no attention being paid to the ammo itself.  Introduce the self-contained centerfire or rimfire round into the chamber with the bullet facing forward and all is well.  A caplock muzzleloader is more complicated but, provided the shooter remembers to pour in a powder charge before seating the projectile and has cleared the nipple before the first shot, success is virtually assured.  A flintlock adds yet another level of complexity.  Or two.  That rock in the lock has to be sufficiently sharp to scrape metal fragments off of the frizzen and the flash of fire in the pan must pass through the vent to ignite the main charge.  In other words, there are two additional duties to be performed if a flintlock is to be reliable.  First, the flint must have an edge.  It doesn't have to be razor sharp but you should be able to feel it when you slide your thumb across.  Second, the vent must not be clogged.  There must be a clear passage from the fire in the pan to the main charge each and every time.

Now comes the time when others are going to assert that "I don't have to do that!"  That's fine.  Try their way and try mine.  Choose which one works best for you.  I've never claimed that I had any sort of corner on the market when it comes to firearms wisdom.  Here's my steps in loading and firing a flintlock successfully.

1.  Before the first shot of the day, run a dry patch down the bore to absorb any oil lying in the breech.
2.  Run your thumb over the  flint to guarantee an edge.  If no edge, knap the flint lightly.
3.  Pour in the correct powder charge.
4.  Seat the projectile.
5.  Insert and remove a pick in the vent to ensure a clear passage from pan to main charge.
6.  Charge the pan.
7.  Pull cock to full.
8.  Fire.

You may find it useful to wipe the bore with a wet patch to remove excess fouling between loadings.  I do this and then follow it with a dry patch.  Others claim to fire hundreds of rounds in a session with no wiping and no decrease in accuracy.  I've never managed this.  Again, you decide.

As a final thought about the relationship between a flintlock and its shooter, it comes down to a degree of commitment.  A flinter demands understanding of its needs and compliance with those needs.  Absolutely.  Every time.  It's not a load it, cap it, fire it, gun.  You must maintain that flint and the open avenue from pan to main charge or you will find yourself wishing you had never bought this "rocklock" contraption.  A flintlock is all about "one shot".  Making each and every shot work takes dedication.  Once you get there you will find yourself wondering why you ever bothered with anything else.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
Re: A flintlock frame of mind
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
There are several kinds of shooters--at least.

I have learned that flintlock shooters share a need and willingness to be slow and thoughtful and enjoy the process. It's not about lots of noise. The guys at my club range in this category are the black gun brass flinging crowd who seem to need to illegally convert their plastic guns to full auto. Grrrrrr. But I digress. As usual.

Another crowd that goes slow and enjoys the journey are some of the single shot guys. Hang out with a muzzleloading/breechloading schuetzen shooter or a breechseating shooter for a while. The tools and processes will amaze you if you've never seen it. Another group is the slug gun guys.

After spending time watching these shooters, a good ol' flinter can seem positively simple. It'll give you a new look at how shooting carefully and methodically can be great fun.

Thanks for the post, Storm.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline shootem32

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.instyoforion.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »
You for got the most improtant thing FOLLOW THROUGH , FOLLOW THOUGH , FOLLOW THROUGH . AND THAT IS WHAT MAKES A GOOD FLINTLOCK SHOOTER.
TMA Member 564
Renewal 3/11/2015

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:37:46 PM »
How did ya shoot on Saturday? How many sights did ya have? Scratches down yer barrel? And even a couple of triggers?  :hairy  :peace

Ps,We did have FUN!!! All 10 of us!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline shootem32

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.instyoforion.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »
Saturday you took FIRST in flint rifle. It was a great day the weather was perfect.  Too bad Rick is a fairweather shooter. The squirrel championship was won by ME, how about that.  Was super shooting with so many friends that I have met over the years.  I have been going to this shoot since 1989, and haven't got a day older (in my mind) until next year.
TMA Member 564
Renewal 3/11/2015

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
Wish I was there on Sunday to see that! Congrate's!  I LOVE winning Flint rifle matches with my Trade gun! That new Lehigh Barn Gun in 20ga from David Robinson is a SHOOTER!

As John stated,it's all about practice,practice,practice! and by that I mean PERFECT practice. It's very important with flint lock's,even more so with Trade gun's! (smoothbore,simple single trigger,flintlock,no rear sight above the plain of the barrel).

I am  NOT the best shooter,but I LOVE to shoot,and I LOVE Trade gun's! It boils down to getting to know the equipment your using,from the flint's to the way you hold them in the jaw's,to how you cut your patches. ENJOY THE WHOLE PROCESS!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Amen, Path.  That was really the point of my post but I think you said it better.  A modern rifle will fire barring some extreme malfunction.  A caplock is slower but still simple to use.  A flinter requires an understanding of the mechanism and a willingness to pay attention to what it needs.  Every mis-fire or failure to fire I've ever had with a flinter could be traced directly to me getting in a hurry or not paying attention.  The other day I fired fifty consecutive shots from my flintlock smoothbore with zero mis-fires or failures.  Ignition for every shot was fast enough to compete with any caplock.  But the loading process did take longer.  That's fine with me.

Storm
Member #632

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
Maybe I should send you my GPR. That thing, though my first and only flinter, is just evil.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
:lol sign  Didn't I post a thread that says exactly that?  Flintlocks can be evil.  Or at least seem so until you get the bugs worked out.  Is the frizzen properly hardened?  That can sometimes be a problem and softness is more common with factory guns.  Is the vent in the "sunset position"?  Are you guaranteeing the vent is clear every time?  Are you using a sharp flint and checking it for edge before every shot?  Is the frizzen spring strong enough?  Or too strong?  Either way can cause a problem.  I will never claim that a flintlock can't be frustrating.  I've had a couple where I wanted to take it out of the stock and beat it with a large hammer.  But when they work, and you can make them work, they will win you over.

Storm
Member #632

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
I expect that the frizzen is too soft, but that's just speculation on my part. What do I know, I'm just a rookie.
R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »
R.M.,  I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or any other shooter experiencing problems with a flintlock.  It does happen and happens more often with mass produced locks.  I spent many years working as a gunsmith on firearms new and old.  I saw more than one modern bolt action rifle with a chamber far enough out of alignment with the bore that it was a wonder the thing fired safely at all.  I saw a revolver made by a respected manufacturer that had no rifling in the bore.  Stuff happens.  What I'd suggest is that you treat the frizzen on your rifle with Kasenit.  That should solve the softness problem.  If that doesn't do it then L&R makes a replacement lock.

Storm
Member #632

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
Storm, no disrespect taken. When experienced flinters speak, I listen. I might be stupid, but I ain't dumb. :Doh!
R.M.

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »
The Germans understood flintlocks.  They have an old saying that roughly translates to:

"All skill is in vain if an angel tinkles in the flintlock of your musket."
Steve Sells

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
Quote from: "prairie dog"
"All skill is in vain if an angel tinkles in the flintlock of your musket."

Now there's a little sumpin a fella can take to the Bank.

RM...I guess I'm a bit surprised you are having problems with your flinter.
The Lyman GPR rifle is, and always has been, one of the most respectable, most dependable, out of the box rifles the common man has had readily available.
On par with anything, and often far above most.
Having owned and often shot no less than three of those rifles over the years myself, I can say that with some confidence.

Currently I am GPR'less, and of all the rifles I have owned, sold, traded, or just flat-out given away, the GPR is the one I look most forward to owning again.

I do hope you get whatever problem you're having worked out, and you get some enjoyment out of that rifle!
There is some powerful good advice right here in this thread, and, FWIW,  I personally know you are no rookie, not stupid, and you do enjoy a well functioning rifle as much as the next guy.

You might want to look around for those little Angels that prairie dog spoke of...it's not that they're evil, just a bit mischievous.
Once ya got things worked out, you'll think they are working with you and for you, and that is how it should be with a good flinter.

Good luck bud!  :lt th

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4