Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Trail Walks and Trekking

Favorite Trekking Meal

<< < (5/5)

BEAVERMAN:

--- Quote from: Oldetexian on October 25, 2019, 08:57:24 AM ---WOW!  :bow :bow :bow

That puts everything in a totally new perspective. I actually had trouble getting my last deer dressed and dragged up the hill to where my jeep was parked. There's no way I could begin to handle an elk...even with friends...

Russ, your description is almost too vivid to believe. My hat is off to you elk hunters. That just might be one of those bucket list items that will have to stay in my bucket...that is unless I can enlist a wagon train to accompany me,,,

--- End quote ---

I still have access to horses for packing the critter out, like I said depends on which unit you hunt weather you'll need them or not so....... load up that old mule next year and head west!

Oldetexian:
 :hairy :hairy :hairy Sounds good to me! As some of my friends like to say, from your lips to God's ears! Just getting to meet ya would be worth the trip! :*:

Winter Hawk:
If you can bone it out, that saves a lot of weight to carry.  When i was in Alaska I learned to carry some 2 gallon ziplok bags with me.  I didn't get elk but the deer were boned out, the meat dunked in a creek or muskeg pond to cool off and then packed in the plastic bags.  That sure made packing it out a lot easier!  My Sweetie would fix the liver when I got home; good eating there!

~Kees~

Oldetexian:
 :hairy :hairy :hairy

Ohio Rusty:
This week I just finished up a meal of deer heart. This is one of the best pieces of meat in a deer. Tender and succulent. I soaked it well to get rid of any blood, then fried it up in a skillet with some butter and seasonings and had several good meals from that heart. I wish I had another one .... YUM !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version