Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Black powder brands?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline 45.70

• TMA Forum Member
Black powder brands?
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
Hello all,

I was looking at the Graf and Son web site and noticed they have their own brand black powder.  I've read in some of the other post here that Goex and Swiss shoot differently, and there seems to be different group's that prefer one over the other and visa versa.  I was curious if anyone has tried the Graf brand name powder, and if so what's your thought's on it.  There's not a lot of difference in price, but they do have it in stock.  As usual all opinions are welcome.  

Thanks, Garry
Garry Smith
Member #659, exp. March 25, 2013

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
Sounds like good stuff, but I don't know if it is produced inside the USA.  It sounds more like the Swiss product, so might be very nice.  I prefer to support GOEX as if you get overseas shipment problems like a trucker's strike or a shipping strike, or if that pesky volcano messes up overseas flights (maybe they don't air ship the stuff anyway) , then you'd only be able to find GOEX..., unless they went out of business.  

LD
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline FG1

• TMA Contributing Member
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 03:43:38 PM »
I read somewhere the Graf was a German powder , Wano manufacture I think .
NRA Life Member

Offline 45.70

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
LD,

I agree with you on supporting our local economy first.  Graf was "out of stock" on FF and FFF Goex. TOW has some in stock,  but I noticed the Graf brand of BP and was curious.  The ad states it's a German formula, but not where it's produced.  ?? a good question ?? But alas, Im addicted to experimenting with powders, bullets, and loads.  My mom's toaster never did work right after I got my first little tool set.  lol

V/R
Garry
Garry Smith

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 04:12:34 PM »
Frank,
That was what was kind of banging around in my head.  Manufactured by Wano.

Several years ago, I tried some Wano and frankly, I was less than impressed.  As I recall, the fouling was much harder than GOEX and I did not get as good a velocity with comparative charges as I did with GOEX.  

Now, granted I was playing with one of my big bore rifles, and was using maybe double or more what would be used in a .50 or .54, but that was my read on the powder.  Didn't care for it.  YMMV with a smaller bore gun.

The can was pretty slick, though.  It was a round can with a funnel shaped top.  All the powder would pour out of it quite easily.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »
In my trade guns I'll use the best price powder,they don't seem to mind. In my rifles,I stick with Goex. I have some DuPont powder that I'll use when I REALLY want to impress folks,I've yet to find a better powder for both accuracy and soft fouling,if any.I was once told by Bill Large that it's because they used Alder charcoal in their formula, and all the other manufacturers used any "charcoal". Not sure if that's what makes the difference,but DuPont is a pleasure to shoot.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:13 AM »
I did not know that Dupont made a black powder.

Is it Dupont brand?

Where do you buy it?

I have used lots of Dupont smokeles powders.
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline 45.70

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 01:58:09 AM »
pathfinder,

Did alittle more research.  The Graf powder is made by Wano Schwarzpulver in germany and the formula is with Alder charcoal.  Not sure what the difference is in the charcoals, ad. say it's cleaner burning. But that maybe just advertising wording.  Read a few forums and generally speaking most folks thought it was ok.  Some had to use alittle more powder to equal vel. of Goex.  Mixed reviews on weather it was actually cleaner or not.

V/R Garry
Garry Smith

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:15 AM »
DuPont black powder isn't made anymore,the powder I have was purchased at a garage sale for @ $1.00 a pound! The can looks like the Goex can and it does seems cleaner to shoot and even with my eye's nowa little more accurate. When I get back home next month,I'll look at the cans to see if there's any dates on them.
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Gordon H.Kemp

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
FWIW, To the best of my memory , GOEX was dupont . I had a can of dupont 2ff  that I picked up in S.D. in a antique/thrift store . It was pretty close to GOEX ,  a little cleanmer and had a little more "snap" but the difference wwasn't much.  I will continue to use AMERICAN made GOEX.  I'm not impressed with the attitude ands mind set of Europe in general towardss the private ownership of firearms . Do a little checking on how the German govt. (amongest others in Europe) and I don't think you would enjoy being at their mercy if GOEX were to dry-up . Price is certainly a consideration "but" how long do you think the European product would stay "cheap" if GOEX went under ? How much is your freedom worth ? I'll stay with an" AMERICAN" firm !!!!
Gordy
TMA Charter Member #144
Expires 3/14/2013

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
I still have two cans of Dupont black powder that I bought over 40 years ago.  They are both 4f, however (4f lasts a loooong time).  I shot up my last can of 3f dupont probably 9-10 years ago.  Yes it was good stuff but I can't really say it is any better than Goex.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »
Hanshi,
         I have used G&S powder and liked it....But I always return to Goex. I would have to see a dramatic difference in my shooting
to quit using American made GOEX. I have not had that happen as yet...IMO
snake-eyes :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline vthompson

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »
I too have had great success with my blackpowder firearms using Goex powder. But, in fairness I have never tried anything else but Goex. It goes back to the old saying that if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Plus I have found a local gun shop that keeps it in stock year round.
Take only what you need and leave the rest

West Virginia TMA State Representative[/color]

TMA Member #520
Exp. 12-2011

Offline Three Hawks

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:05:55 PM »
These days if you find Black Powder for sale, buy as much of it as you are able to, taking out a second mortgage might not be out of the question.  

Supply seems to be catch as catch can all too often and with the halfwits we've got at the top of the food chain in Wash D.C. and most State capitols, it only promises to get worse.

Years ago wheat straw was used to make some of the highest grade sporting powder.   Almost anything that can be converted to charcoal will work.  Except charcoal briquettes.  Those contain about 30% clay, a considerable amount of finely ground coal and some crude oil  to keep things stuck together, proportions depending on what brand you buy.

My two cents worth.

Three Hawks
TMA #360
????? ?a??
Whatever doesn't kill me had better start running.

Offline Mitch

• TMA Forum Member
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
have used Graf powder and have no complaints-seems comparable to Goex in fouling and velocity(maybe a shade hotter)....
Ride the high trail....never tuck your tail

TMA#211 renewal date 01AUG08