Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: India made fusil  (Read 708 times)

Offline Renegade

• TMA Forum Member
India made fusil
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
I was wondering if any of you have any experience with these India made muskets? I have heard some negative comments about them. The local gun shop has a 62 cal. fusil de chasse smoothbore for sale in excellent condition, he's only asking 200.00 for it. they go 675.00 brand new. I believe he got it at an auction. I would love to have TVM build me a smoothbore but with kids in college and the funds aren't there. I figure this would be a good start for my first flintlock smoothbore. Thanks in advance for all your input.
All Tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Adam Wetherington

• TMA Forum Member
Re: India made fusil
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »
For that price, I'd say get it. I have heard that there are differences amongst the different makers of the India guns so it's hard to say good or bad what you might get but if it looks good to you with no obvious defects then it sounds like a good deal to me.

I'm sure you have found the threads on multiple other sites where guys argue about these guns. From what I've read of them, they aren't historically correct but they are functional and for a starter gun I think it would be fine.

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:07:13 AM »
I would also query those who are familiar with the correct build and construction of ML guns as to why they do not have any experience with those pieces.
Another alternative is to use the 200 as a down payment on a better piece and be saving a small bit per month for the 12-18 months it will take for delivery.
I have a problem with "starter" guns just from a price point perspective. I have always chosen (or had to condition myself) to be patient and save for quality without frills for my "starter" gear no matter the hobby. I would never start running with a cheap pair of shoes from the 5  and dime and I would not  do that with a firearm either. You can eliminate the bells and whistles and get a good lock, stock and barrel put together at a decent price.

Captchee on this site has transformed some of the cheaper made factory guns into functional pieces by utililizing their strong features and correcting the weakness. You may want to check with him as well.

Just my tuppence.

Offline sse

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
I say go for it.  The experience of using it will layer onto whatever you already have, you'll have something to mess with in the meantime, plus, you'll have an extra to keep around.  

When I started, I picked up a T/C Hawken persussion just to check out traditional, at least in the sense of 'ignition', if nothing else.  Hooked me.  Then I sold it and wish now I still had it for helping to break others into the sport.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Capt. Jas.

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisan.asp?ID=1583&membersonly=yes
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
Quote from: "sse"
When I started, I picked up a T/C Hawken persussion

good choice for a "starter" gun in comparison :bl th up

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:29:44 AM »
Yeah, I went into a gun shop and expected to pay a hundred bucks for a plastic muzzleloader.  Then I saw the T/C sittin there, an older kit gun, for $125....and figgered why not...ended up selling it for more than I paid.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:33:11 PM »
Go for it.  You may need to do a bit of work to make it a shooter but as a smoothy, a water pipe is a water pipe. :rotf
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
I listened to a lot of debate about "India" guns and decided to see for myself.  I purchased a non-firing percussion Enfield replica that was imported without the flash channel having been drilled.  This gets around a lot of things including the need to proof the gun and certain import taxes.  The gun was sold on the basis of "drill the flash channel and you have a working gun".  I did a thorough inspection before I drilled the channel.  Things looked pretty good and I found nothing that raised the hair on the back of my neck.  I had heard stories of breeches where a piece of metal had been welded across the back end of the barrel instead of being threaded.  This one was threaded.  Overall quality wasn't great but was okay.  I drilled the channel and proceeded to test fire.  I used increasing powder charges up to 70 grains FFg and all seemed well.  Or at least they did until I removed the nipple for cleaning back home.  I had inspected this area when I drilled the flash channel and found no problems.  Now however, there was a visible gap in the metal in the threads the nipple screws into.  I'm guessing that there had been an air void in the casting and it had opened up under the pressure of firing.  The result could have been a nipple that blew out of the breech.  Would that have happened?  I don't know because I stopped testing right then and there and sent the gun back.  Total number of shots fired was about 20.  

I don't know if the gun you are considering started off as a non-firing replica or not but if it was I'd be hesitant to buy it.  My experience showed a problem with one gun and I may have gotten a very rare lemon.  On the other hand, we usually get what we pay for.  I'd vote for saving until you can buy a gun you can be sure you can trust.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
How are ya going to get rid it when ya step up to a real gun? I've already swam this creek and decided it's better to be patient and get it right the first time. All other things being equal !!!!  My 2cts.  $200bks is alot for a wallhanger if ya can't move it on down the road.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline callotk

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
I have a couple of India Made Muskets, There is alot of debate over them, I like mine. They are not top of the line guns, but for $200 dollars I'd say it is worth that. 3 things to look at are trigger pull, "some have a very heavy trigger pull" and frizzen hardness, "see if it sparks" and is the vent hole drilled. Does it look like it has been shot? One other thing the wood it is teak wood, it is a very hard wood. Make him an offer he might take less never know until you ask. Pawn shops around here will not touch a black-powder rifle, at least a side lock. If you do buy it and down the road if you do not like it I will give you your $200 back for it.  :)
TMA #657-02/28/2012

Online MedicineSoldier

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »
Renagade,

There are a number of different manufacturers as well as importers/sellers of India made guns so it can be tough to say for sure if it would be a worthwhile purchase.  I will however share my experience with mine.  I actually own five different India guns, four of which I purchased from MVTC and one picked up by a trader at the RMNR.  

Brown Bess - heavy on the wood and a bit rough on the brass.  Slimmed the stock and touched up the brass a I am pleased with it.  Used it to take squirrels and deer.

Matchlock musket - slimmed the wood, replaced the ramrod.  Have taken squirrels and turkey and actually took 1st place in a smoothbore match against flintlocks at a regional rendezvous.

Matchlock pistol - no problems and fun to shoot.

Flintlock pistol - slimmed the stock and shoots reliably.

Baker rifle (actually a smoothbore) - refinished the stock, have needed to work on the lock and could use some more but this is the one I got at the RMNR and don't know the importer.

You mentioned that the one you are looking at is in excellent condition so I would probably take advantage of the chance to pick it up at what appears to be a good price.  

Medicine Soldier
I ask, Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers."
 – George Mason