Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: flints  (Read 1138 times)

Offline badger8985

• TMA Forum Member
flints
« on: January 23, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
Can someone suggest a good source of quality flints that I order from? Badger
Member Number 690

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: flints
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
I order mine from "Track of the Wolf".  :rt th
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
I would imagine that Track of the Wolf, Dixie, Cain's Outdoors, October Country, etc. all get their English flints from the same supplier.  So, it's the same rock, chipped in the same way.  Quality between the places should be no better and no worse.  Check prices and go from there.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
been reall happy with stonewallcreek

http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »
You might call Back Creek Gun Shop and make an appointment to check them out.  If you're too far away just in touch with them and tell them what you want.  They'll ship it.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:49:58 PM »
I've always purchased my flints from the Track of the Wolf.  However after comparing the price for 7/8" flints at Stonewall Creek.  I'm going with them for my next purchase if their prices don't change.

One other thing.  I'd recommend using knapped flint not agate.  I'd also recommend not buying sawed flints.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:05 PM »
Yup,Stonewall Creek!
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
I've been using Rich Pierce flints for quite awhile now, and I've never been disappointed.
Couple of years back I tried to keep count, as best as possible, of just how many shots I was getting per flint.
I had a piece of paper in my shooting box and at the end of each range session I knew that if i shot 20 / 30 ball, I had 20 / 30 shots on that particular flint.
And then I messed up.........didn't count one range trip and tried to make up for it on the next, and so on, until the paper count was a total mess and I was no longer exactly sure what happened.

However, I am quite confident that on one flint in particular, I got at least 70 shots, maybe even more, maybe even a lot more.
Besides, when Rich ships you a dozen flints...you get a real dozen! 13 / 14 and even 15 at times. I got two shipments with 14 in each box, my son-in-law got a single shipment of 15 flints, and you don't pay until you get the flints, take a look at 'em, even try 'em if you like, and if you're not happy with 'em send 'em back and pay nothing.
Between Rich Pierce and Jeff Tanner, it's a toss up as to who can be the most honest, upfront, Johnny-on-the-spot Vendors for this sport of ours.

Here is a little something that our own Rev posted on another forum for Rich a year or so ago:

"I offer gunflints that I make from Missouri flint I collect locally. The flints are white to gray and rough, tough, and sparky.Flints are generally 1/8" longer than wide, so a 5/8" wide flint is 3/4" long; same for other sizes unless you need something special.5/8" wide size are $10 per dozen3/4" wide or 7/8" wide are $12 a dozen1" wide or 1 and 1/8" wide are $15 per dozenI limit folks to 3 dozen of any individual size per order so I can supply all customers. Shipping and handling runs $1 to $1.50 per dozen, depending on size and quantity.Here is how to order: send me an email with "flints" in the subject header. Give me your name, address, and what you need. I will pack and ship with an invoice. You try one in an unloaded gun right away. If they are satisfactory, send me a check. If not, send them back.My email is rpierce@dom.wustl.edu. I prefer email to private message, but can work with you if you prefer PM."

Good man to work with, you might want to give him a try.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Knapped English and RP white flints are very good.  At each range session I normally fire 30 to 45 shots.  It's not unusual for me not to change flints for three sessions or more.  Some flints, though, will break or not spark well at all.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline stude283

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rich pierce flints
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
I don't think Rich Pierce is doing flints right now.I think he was injured over a year ago and can't find time to get back into it.You are right about his flints and his service though.I'll be one of the first to order when and if he starts shipping again.

Offline Uncle Russ

Re: Rich pierce flints
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »
Quote from: "stude283"
I don't think Rich Pierce is doing flints right now.I think he was injured over a year ago and can't find time to get back into it.You are right about his flints and his service though.I'll be one of the first to order when and if he starts shipping again.

Thanks, Sir
I am sorry to hear that.
I guess it was something over a year ago, maybe even longer, when I got my last order of flints from him.
I know he is something of a "champion" bike rider, is that how he got hurt?
I think I still have his address around somewhere, I need to send him a card or something.

Do you, or anyone else, know any of the particulars of his injury?

I suspect Rev might know if he gets by to read this....anyone else?

Thanks!

Uncle Russ...

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:40:04 AM »
Rev gave me an update on Rich Pierce flints...................
""Hi, a couple years ago I broke my collarbone and messed up rotator cuff and it took a long time to get back to full function. But I got back into flintmaking but could not keep up. I got over 100 dozen behind when my regular job got more intense requiring longer hours. At that point I "retired" because it was just work. So I am officially retired from flintmaking but healthy for a 59 year old guy.

RP"

Well that confirms stude282 comments, and that is indeed a sad thing, IMHO

Good luck with the flints you got from ToTW.

FWIW; Many winters back we had a "group buy" here on the forum for Black English flints, Old Salt ran that deal, if memory serves me right.
The flints were very reasonable in cost, a lot of members  capitalized on the opportunity, myself included, and just as many got condemned for taking business from the many flint makers out there in cyber land, many with no name, and no standards in their practices......see where this going?
Then along came Rich Pierce with his flints and it was an overnight success.
The reason is likely because the TMA, or someone in the TMA did not act as a middle man.
Perhaps that is as it should be, I'm not the one to judge such things.

Still yet, I can not see why any member who truly wants to pass on a good deal to his fellow members should not be able to do so.

Uncle Russ..

Offline pathfinder

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33:07 PM »
Ok,that being said,I'd be willing to spearhead a group buy on flint's from supplier "A",if supplier "B" "C" and "D" get a bee under their bonnet,because we didn't use them,well we went with a "known" supplier with a proven track record. If you want us to use you next,then "sell"me as to why we should buy from you. It's not about price alone. will you re-place those flints that are deamed sub-standard? If so,I have no problem "spreading the wealth"(ugh,I now HATE that term!).
NRA life member
NMLRA

Offline shootrj2003

• TMA Forum Member
  • U.S.M.C 1972-1976 0331
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 11:40:38 PM »
I just bought a dozen flints by Tom Fuller,from T.O.W. they are actually the first real good flints I've ever bought as I just recently  really became commited to the Stone Age,my BP shooting in the past was mostly percussion,with the amount of flint shooting before, I used the flints like you find in a bin on the counter,however now that I'm shooting flintlocks more I know what a good flint is like and their worth.
I go forth armed and girded as a free man.

Expires 1/8/14
Member #609

Offline FlintSteel

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
I've been a fan of French Flints for years. I recently bought a pack of 100 from TOW. It's a pretty good savings over buying them in small counts. Works out to about 2 dozen flints FREE. Flint was pretty consistent throughout the entire bag. So I should be good to go for a couple of years.
Michael Markey
TMA Member #271  Exp 07/09/2013
National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
National Rifle Association
Contemporary Longrifle Association