Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: .54 CVA Bobcat loads  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
.54 CVA Bobcat loads
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:31:50 PM »
joined the site because of the rebuild threads,  but for now, i thought i'd ask a general question. ended up with a bobcat yesterday for 60 bucks, came with everything but bullets and caps. was able to find some .530 round balls and .10 pretreated patches at a pawn shot that carries .54 cal supplies, the RB's were hornady's, and probably had been sitting on the shelf since i was born.

ive only shot it twice, just to make sure it worked, (oh plus the load that was in it when i bought it). Im new to muzzle loaders pretty much.

i started at 70gr and i hit a paper plate at ~50yds just above center. My second attempt missed high. This was with RS power, and hornady round balls, that were probably older than i am (im 36). I know what will have to be done to find what works best, but i still think it would be good to know what might be a common denominator to folks that already shoot these bobcats. I'd like to stay with RB's, and ive seen some good target results with them out of these .54's on a 1:48 twist. Anyone care to share the loads they have chased down on these bobcats? I know i will have to find my own, but still, doesnt hurt to ask.

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
Re: .54 CVA Bobcat loads
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
I don't have a bobcat, but 70 grain sounds like a good ballpark to be in. Don't know what RS is (other than my initials), can you speak to us in fg? HA
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:41:40 PM »
well i think RS is equivalent to FFg. but im still learning all these new terms and meanings.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »
RS is Pyrodex Rifle/Shotgun, so a 2F equivalent.
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
Jmo,but 70 is in the middle of the range. If it were me and from my experience ,I would start at 50 g and work up in 5 g increments. Also if you change powder brands it will change things,just as patch thickness will. If you have too high a charge, it won't all get burned because of the short barrel.
Welcome to the forum,lots of good discussions can be found in the old posts as well.
Good little rifle for the money :toast
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
whats the knock on black power, since pyrodex is identified as the alternative? whats the trade outs?

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »
I don't have a Bobcat, but 70 grs. of powder and .530 roundballs sound like a good combo.
On the other hand, your .010 patches sound rather "thin" to me and .535 roundballs might be more accurate,... or you might try some .018 patches with the .530 roundballs you already have.

"Age" isn't going to have any effect on your roundballs,.... but might have some effect on "substitute powders" like Pyrodex (and unlike real blackpowder).
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"
I don't have a Bobcat, but 70 grs. of powder and .530 roundballs sound like a good combo.
On the other hand, your .010 patches sound rather "thin" to me and .535 roundballs might be more accurate,... or you might try some .018 patches with the .530 roundballs you already have.

"Age" isn't going to have any effect on your roundballs,.... but might have some effect on "substitute powders" like Pyrodex (and unlike real blackpowder).

thanks, ive since checked the patches, and i cant find a size on them, they were kinda old looking too. The powder was new at least. i dont know if i can measure those patches  with a micrometer or not, i never tried measuring cloth.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
Quote from: "Dogbyte"
whats the knock on black power, since pyrodex is identified as the alternative? whats the trade outs?
Availability and storage are the two drawbacks of real blackpowder,... the alternative powders (blackpowder substitutes) are considered a "flammable solid" by the BATF, rather than a "low explosive", thus they are easier to legally store and which also makes them more available to the public.
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
well it looks like i may have .015's? dunno if the pretreated nature of it is causing the extra thickness or not. i just cranked it down til the clicker started.

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
If you can't slide the material through the anvils, it's too tight.
Old patches can deteriorate with age. What did your fired patches look like?
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »
Quote from: "R.M."
If you can't slide the material through the anvils, it's too tight.
Old patches can deteriorate with age. What did your fired patches look like?

i pulled off a patch from the middle of a stack, and it came right to .018, was able to slide it out.

i did not check any fired patches.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
thanks, ive since checked the patches, and i cant find a size on them, they were kinda old looking too. The powder was new at least. i dont know if i can measure those patches  with a micrometer or not, i never tried measuring cloth.
Yes, you can get a pretty good idea of how thick your patch material is with a micrometer, just snug the mic up on the material without getting too tight with the mic.

I buy all my patch material (pillow ticking) from Walmart, or JoAnne's Fabrics, and it measures .018 to .022 thousands.
Buying your patch material in bulk like I do, is a LOT cheaper then buying commercial patches in the small bags.

IF,... you buy pillow ticking from fabric stores (like I do) you must first wash the fabric in order to remove the "sizing" (starch) from it, or the melted starch might possibly mess up the bore of your rifle when fired (or so the experts claim).
I always wash my new material twice before using, just to be on the safe side.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

It's a good idea to retrieve some of your patches after firing,.... they should look good enough to re-use.

"Fired" patches that are charred, tattered, or have holes in them, can have an effect on accuracy.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
Quote from: "rollingb"

It's a good idea to retrieve some of your patches after firing,.... they should look good enough to re-use.

"Fired" patches that are charred, tattered, or have holes in them, can have an effect on accuracy.

so if the fired patch looks bad, it may be an indicator of some other problem? I will take a look next time i shoot it.