Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: oil or spit patching  (Read 895 times)

Offline 45.70

• TMA Forum Member
oil or spit patching
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:12:09 PM »
Gents,

Just curious about some of your feelings/experiences between shooting with pre-lubed oil patches and spit patches. I've been using T/C pre-lubed patches, but due to fouling, I  have to stop shooting and clean my barrel after about 5-10 shots.

Thanks,
Garry
Garry Smith
Member #659, exp. March 25, 2013

Offline Keb

• TMA Forum Member
Re: oil or spit patching
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
Spit. Always have & always will. I believe a spit patch wipes the barrel as it's loaded so every shot is pretty much like the last. This is just my theory.

Offline 45.70

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:27 PM »
After one range day of shooting spit patches this last year, I think I agree with your theory Keb.  Out hunting I never really noticed a difference, but hunting, I'm only shooting a few rounds at most. (which is most of my limited experience)  It was at the range that I really noticed the difference.  If I remember correctly, someone here at the TMA stated that BP residue, after firing, actually has an oily base.  I noticed it when I first started shooting BP, but thought the oily residue was from my pre-lubed patches.  I might be switching to buying only dry patches in the future.
Garry Smith

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
Agree with Keb, except I always run out of spit. I now use Ballistol and water (1/5). Shot many a trail walk or range session through the years and never had to clean between shots.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Bison Horn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
I also agree with Keb, use spit patch in matches but lube patches for hunting when load may be in barrel for any length of time. BH
Alan Wright

Texas Trappers and Fur Hunters Association Life Member, LTAHA,National Trappers Association Life Member,FTA,NRA,NAHC Life Member
Dallas Muzzleloading Gun Club
"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms"  Thomas Jefferson
Texas Trappers and Hunters Assoc.

Offline 45.70

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »
Bison, I haven't shot a match yet, I keep saying I'm going to one day.  My experience with the dry patches was by accident.  Shooting at the range last year, I had a used rifle I bought that came with some dry patches.  I tried the spit patches because I didn't have the correct size lubed patches on hand.  You mentioned using lubed patches for hunting, any particular reason why?  ?? better seal for the powder in wet weather, Etc.

Garry
Garry Smith

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »
I use Canola oil. I have a Mason jar filled with pre-cut patches soaking in the oil. I remove whatever amount I need, wring out the oil at time of shooting and then patch and cut at the muzzle. I think pre-lubed patches dry out too much and this system works well for me!

PRB by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Patlube by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline hawkthrower

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 732
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »
Spit is great - but for an all day walk in the woods something that won't rust in-place is desirable... or freeze since I seem to be out in the woods at times when there is a good deal of snow on the ground and the temp is freezing....
I used to use Crisco but the patches would start to go rancid if left too long. So I got inventive....

I have a concoction that will not freeze sub zero and has no H2O in it... I soak patches (well, really, more like smear it on and let em sit)... The patches don't dry out, and the concoction has a group of things which are hydrophobic, coat & protect metal, and help cut fouling..... I've been testing it out for a while now and so far I have been happy with the results for hunting...
Easy to make stuff - all off the shelf at your  local hardware store, and only two ingredients that might take a bit of searching for.....  

Homemade bore cleaner is in the jars and the patch lube stuff I keep in small tins -

[attachment=0:280e78m6][/attachment]IMG_3967.JPG[/attachment:280e78m6]  
Yep I know it's PINK!  stinky pink patch lube

At a match some pre-lubed patches and some dry/spit is usually the way I work the line.....
If anybody wants to test this stuff let me know I'll send you the recipe.
"Never utter these words! 'I do not know this—therefore it is false.'
One must study to know, know to understand, understand to judge."
The apothegm of Narada,
an ancient east Indian philosopher

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
I use the Ballistol / water method for everything except my pistol.  

At rondy shoots when having to load from the bag, I use a linen patch and spit for the pistol.  When I am allowed to use a loading stand I go back to the tighter patch and Ballistol.  It is a more accurate load but too difficult to load without the stand.
Steve Sells

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 04:14:12 PM »
When I started off and for years afterward I used spit patch.  Nowadays I have "dry mouth" and can no longer do that.  At the range/woods walks/etc I use Hoppes #9 Plus BP patch Lube.  I can shoot all day and not have to swab the bore.  In the woods I use Mink Oil and if I don't get a shot it's safe to leave it loaded.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline sse

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Co-Founder, Charter Member, BoD.
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #3
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 10:05:24 AM »
Quote from: "Keb"
Spit. Always have & always will. I believe a spit patch wipes the barrel as it's loaded so every shot is pretty much like the last. This is just my theory.
Spit for everything except hunting...That's what rollingb told me and I've stuck with it.
Regards, sse

Consider joining the TMA...If you're not a member, you're missing out...

TMA Member #3
Exp. July A.D. 1821

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:26 PM »
Spit for target shooting, TC Bore Butter for hunting. These two combos work best for me, but that's just me after years of using this method.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
On a recent trip a new friend let me shoot one of his rifles and I used his regimen including MAP. Worked great and I too run low on saliva especially in the summer so I mixed some up and have been using it for a couple of weeks.

What's MAP?  Equal parts of Murphys Oil Soap, 91% rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.

I still use more NM oil for hunting.
TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 06:20:45 PM »
absolutely spit for load 'n' then shoot, but patch strips for me instead of individual patches.  

for load and wait shootin', spit will promote rust/corrosion so ya want something besides spit/water.  i like original lehigh valley, or gato feo, or straight up mutton tallow.  really, the list of what can effectively be used to replace spit is near endless and they will *ALL* work fine, one way or another.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
Spit or Ol' Thunder for me for target shooting.

For hunting, I have typically used Ox/Yoke Wonderlube patches.  For the big bore guns, I ran a pre-lubed cushion wad down first ahead of the PRB.  Never had a minute's worth of problems with that.

Ox Yoke made up some .70-.80 caliber patches for me, as the .60-.69 cal patches were really too small even for the .69.  Whether RMC still has any of those, I have no idea.  Interestingly, I found that the T/C round cleaning patch worked pretty good for 8 and 4 bore guns.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life