Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: track of the wolf gun sales  (Read 1152 times)

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
track of the wolf gun sales
« on: January 04, 2017, 02:40:24 AM »
I was wondering if anybody here has sold a gun through Track of the Wolf's website and, if so, what  your experience was like? If you prefer not to speak freely on an open forum, feel free to send me a private message. I wasn't sure where to post this, and if the content is inappropriate, I hope a moderator will delete it.
Thanks.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Mike Brooks

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.thegunmaker.com
Re: track of the wolf gun sales
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:53:21 AM »
Years ago I sold a gun or two there. They sometimes sold in less than an hour. They add 1/3rd to the price you want for your gun for their selling fee.. They seem to be able to sell my guns for more than I can.

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
Might be good to sell one of yours there, but i'd sure never buy one. I don't know how they get so much for them.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »
Thanks Mike.
Molon labe

Offline freddy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
TotW (or on-line sales house like Rock Island or ....):  Assuming you have firearm to sell, you need to advertise, collect payment, and package and ship. They advertise to a large and selected audience, collect payment from buyer, pack/ship, handle shipping damages, payment problems, buyer complaints, etc. Auction houses provide a service for a fee to both the seller and buyer. If the purchased item, in your opinion as the buyer, is not as advertised, would you rather deal with an auction house or a person you don't know?

Got a friend interested? Likely not a problem as already advertised and payment assured by your friendship. Got something rare or pricey, an auction house, despite 30% or so premium, may be in your best interest: you decide!

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »

TotW (or on-line sales house like Rock Island or ....): 

Assuming you have firearm to sell, you need to advertise, collect payment, and package and ship.

They advertise to a large and selected audience, collect payment from buyer, pack/ship, handle shipping damages, payment problems, buyer complaints, etc.

Auction houses provide a service for a fee to both the seller and buyer.

If the purchased item, in your opinion as the buyer, is not as advertised, would you rather deal with an auction house or a person you don't know ?

Got a friend interested ?

Likely not a problem as already advertised and payment assured by your friendship.

Got something rare or pricey, an auction house, despite 30% or so premium, may be in your best interest: you decide !

Amen........ I vote for the EASY button.   :Doh!

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline MacRob46

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
I have bought two guns from them, both made by the same gunstocker. I did not mind paying their premium to get the guns because otherwise I could not have found them. I have heard all sorts of figures regarding their markup from 25% to 50%. They have been in business a long time and have sold a lot of guns during that period although I have noticed lately that they don't seem to have the inventory on consignment that they once had. Were I planning to sell some of my collection, I would certainly consider them to act as a broker. They have a lot more contacts than I do. Likewise, if they have something I want, and can afford, I will consider buying from them again, as the two experiences I had with them were excellent.

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
Thanks for the input, folks.  :bl th up
Molon labe

Offline Loyalist Dave

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 800
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
I have bought three guns from them, but only kept one.  The one I kept was very nice and I still have it.  It's my favorite.  The other two when inspected up close did not meet what I wished, so sent it back.  That's what the "sale pending" label means on some of the ads..., the buyer is inspecting the gun up close.

I have sold a couple of guns through them too.  No worries.

I have noticed, however, that they don't "vet" any of their consignment guns, and I think people are paying premium prices for incorrect pieces because they see them on Track.

I have seen rifles with some seriously basic mistakes (imho) being sold for some rather pricey sums.   What I refer to most often is from the photos one can clearly see in some of the rifles, that the lock mortise has too much wood at the mortise tail, at the back of the lock.  That's from the builder buying a pre-shaped stock, and not making the lock mortise symmetrical, before going onto fitting the patch box, and then doing the really fun stuff..., the carving.  So for me, if the lock area isn't properly shaped..., all the carving in the world can't erase that basic mistake.  Putting lipstick on a pig, doesn't change the fact it's still a pig.   ;) 

The other glaring example is again at the lock mortise.  It's very basic that the lock should fit properly, that where the wood meets the lock plate the line isn't buggered, and that there isn't a gap leading into the interior of the mortise with the lock is in place (again imho).  Once that happens the builder needs to fix it, or dump the rifle for the cost of the parts and maybe an extra $100 if the rifle shoots right, and start over. 

All the carving, tiger striped maple, and metal engraving in the world doesn't atone for a poorly done lock fitting or a poorly done lock mortise.  I'd suggest to some builders, that they work on those two items first...., on plain wood...., and only THEN try their hand at carving.  Judging from the carving on some I've seen done with poor lock areas..., the building is very highly skilled with wood, but just got in a hurry with the basic stuff. 

LD
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:32:36 AM by Loyalist Dave »
It's not what you think you know; it's what you can prove.

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »
I sent three quality firearms to TOTW; two 1874 Shiloh Sharps and one Pedersoli. They offered me 1/2 price for them! I advised RETURN TO ME!

In addition they BROKE a rear tang high quality sight that I have NEVER been reimbursed for despite me asking several times for!

I won't try dealing with them again! :Doh! :P
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"